Topic

Paradox at costco

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Paradox at costco

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    BPL Member

@emsjames

Locale: Central Valley

24.99 Tops
    19.99 Bottoms

Dri-release Merino blend Call your nearest Costco and ask if they can search for the following product number shirt = 646257, Pants = 646258. If they don't have at the branch you call, ask them to search the closest stores.

Costco phone tip: Select speak to an administrator in the first set of phone prompts.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

That sounds like a really good deal… thanks!

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

These have merino in the name, and yes it discloses the "blend" aspect in the name. However, this line should really be called Paradox Polyester Blend.

Here are the specs:
    84% POLYESTER
    11% MERINO WOOL
    5% SPANDEX

I ran into them at Costco and ended up buying, what I thought, was a women's XL that looked like a promising fit in the store (6'2" 185lbs, usually wear Mens large). I came home with a women's size large that fit me like a wet suit. The women's version has thumb holes and that is a big thing for me. I went back and the women's XL fits great.

Hope this helps someone before they make a trek to costco hoping to get a 100% Merino Baselayer for that 24.99. :)

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I've been using the Paradox base layers in several weights for some time and am very impressed with them. First, I find that the layers do not become smelly even after multiple days of hard wear. Many base layers I've tried have become pretty smelly after a couple hours. On a twp month AT hike I did not have regular long pants or a standard shirt, but used shorts combined with paradox base layers to keep me warm. Even wearing the paradox layers outside the shorts, I did not have any significant wear issues. During this quite wet hike, the paradox layers were worn almost every day, and unless the temps were near freezing, I did not use a rain jacket, but just a light wind shirt. I found the base layers wicked moisture very well, and I did not feel at all clammy. I would rate the heavier paradox bases as at least as warm as capilene 3 bases. Note that Costco has sold a number of base layer items in the last few years. I just checked some labels, and see that some of them are 100% polyester, some are 11% merino, and some are 54% merino with the remainder polyester and spandex. I find that the thin base layers pill some after quite a bit of wear. (This is something that does not bother me, but I know it bothers some folks.) The thicker base layers have yet to pill even after very heavy use. The sewing on these cloths is excellent, and I have yet to have any problems with seams opening. I guess you can tell that I'd recommend these bases.
    Jim

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I really like my pair of longs and wanted to buy another. Can't find! Have these been Disco'd by Costco?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Much of the costco outdoor gear and clothing is very seasonal.

I suspect the thermal wear falls into this category.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Aha, I'm too late in the season. OK, thanks.

David K
    BPL Member

@davidk

FYI, I just bought a few pairs of the Paradox leggings for $10 each, new, incl shipping! 84% polyester, 11% merino, 5% spandex. Looking forward to trying these on my next hike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301158014469

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn't realize these were on sale for so cheap! I need to give John a partial refund (i just sold him a lightly used pair for 12 dollars).

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

I see this stuff in my local Cotco in OZ. They order big heaps of it and keep moving it around the world to suit the season until it's all gone. Aldi do the same, they're selling ski clothing that's come from the European winter.

Robsudac *
    Spectator

@robsudac

Locale: Northern California

May have to give them a try but it looks like only L and XL are left.
    Seems that they only had a few in M that sold in the last day or two.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I recommend them, they are pretty nice especially for the price. I think Cap 4 and similar type baselayers (Polartec Power Dry High Efficiency fabric) with polygiene are better and have a wider comfort range, but they also tend to be $$$$.

These will do the job and well, with decent to good odor control, but for much, much, much less.

Btw, it's not the 11% Merino which is doing the odor control so much as it's primarily the oleophobic coating they add to the synthetic fibers. The small percentage of Merino may also help a little too (especially since it's usually wrapped on the outside so your skin is more touching the Merino than the synthetic), but it's not the primary means.

All Dri-Release stuff has this oleophobic coating on the synthetic fibers, which are wrapped with a small percentage of some natural/semi natural and hydrophillic fiber. It's a unique form of wicking. Unlike well wicking synthetics or natural fiber based garments, the moisture doesn't spread over a larger surface area, so it's not quite as cooling in nature, but that can be a good thing especially in very cold and dry conditions wherein a well wicking, moisture spreading type synthetic garment can make you colder when it becomes significantly wet.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

So *that's* how dri-release works, interesting.

I wish I'd bought a spare pair of Paradox base-layers when I'd had the chance. Hope to pick more up next winter, when they are (hopefully) available again. Checked the ebay link above, out of stock for medium.

So this oleophobic coating, does it degrade/wear off/need refreshing? Or is it more-or-less for the life of the garment?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Whether it's for the life of the garment or not, i don't know. Optimer certainly has marketed for the former, but i tend to be skeptical of corporation's claims, or rather their definitions–you might need a lawyer and textiles expert to fully understand the context and definitions they are basing it on…

For example, i like Polygiene's tech, and they boldly claim their NON wash in treatments last for the life of the garment, but if you dig deeper, it's actually rated for 100 washes. That's pretty dang durable (and impressive), but i bet you there will be some people that will use a garment longer and wash it more than that. An all polyester, or all nylon, shirt can last a good long time if designed well and not overly thin.

Now, bout the Merino, i can't say anything with any certainty, but on a trip my wife used a Dri Release polyester-cotton blend (15% cotton) baselayer, and i used the Paradox Dri Release polyester-Merino blend. Her shirt definitely had a bit more noticeable odor than mine, even though i had been previously constantly wearing mine for almost a week before, and she had just started to wear her baselayer the day before. She does not have unusual or strong body odor.

Was the difference due to the Merino vs the cotton, even though these are at small percentage? I can't say for certain, but it's certainly a possibility, especially since Dri Release yarns are usually designed with a synthetic core, wrapped on the outside by the absorbent natural or semi-natural minority fiber.

Hence, it's possible that having the Merino on the outside and the synthetic primarily on the inside, does maximize the efficiency of the small percentage of the former. Speculation though. I imagine without the oleoophobic coating on the synthetic though, it would get fairly stinky, though probably not as much as a 100% all untreated synthetic.

Either way, as you have noticed as well, it seems to be a pretty good combo, and at a great price.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Thanks Justin. Always enjoy your lucid explanations. Where do I send my tuition money?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haha, you can buy a front insulated synthetic vest and fund the Justin pay his bills cause. I'll even give you a special, Delmar only coupon discount. ;)

David Mason
    BPL Member

@dimjim

If you're lucky enough to be a mens small, I found a pair of these bottom base layers on sale on ebay for $7.50 and free shipping. The listing says they're on sale for the next 5 days. I ordered a pair.

Link

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools