Topic

Winter Pack recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter Pack recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Cheers Brian,

I have used the Catalyst for a couple of winter trips in Scotland (without skis or snowshoes) and it was fine.

I have heard a lot of great things about McHale packs.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I'll second the recommendation of the Hyperlight Mountain Gear Expedition pack. Just had mine up in the Colorado Rockies for 5 days, and it carried beautifully.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks Don,

A buddy just pointed me that way also.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Folks,

Haven't got around to getting new winter pack, just seeing if anyone had any more recommendations?

Cheers,

Stephen

Henry Thomas
    BPL Member

@hthomas

I was in the same position but after looking at large capacity packs decided on the pulk. I encourage you to check out Skipulks.com. You can't beat a pulk for cold weather camping.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I do plan to get a pulk Henry at some stage but also need a load hauler for where a pulk can't go.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have an original Dana Designs Terraplane. (7.5 lbs!!)

My recommendation would be something from Granite Gear in the 4,500 cu. in range with exterior straps on the bottom for truly huge synthetic winter bags or winter mattresses.

Granite Gear makes tough packs that are comfortable. Not UL but still light.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

My weight for a 4-day trip up Camel's Hump iN VT in January, with snowshoes and crampons, was like 35lbs. I think 40 is an ok estimate, since I didn't have a stove (someone else did).

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I concur with Rog.

In fact, I'm going to be using my Catalyst this weekend. :)

But you're bringing the Hilleberg though, correct? That might take up some pack real estate.

Edit: I see way back in your OP that you mentioned mountaineering. That I have no experience with.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Guys,

It is for Winter trips in the Rockies and back in Europe when carrying crampons, shovel and snowshoes.

It will probaly only be used 2-3 times a year.

tommy d

@vinovampire

I've found the Black Diamond Mission 75 pack to work well for my winter needs. It's a nice, streamlined pack. It has well-considered places for crampons, axes, and snowshoes to attach to the pack when not in use. It should have plenty of space for a multi-day winter trip.

Black Diamond Mission 75 Pack

Good luck with your search!

David Ure

@familyguy

Hurry up Stephen. Winter is almost over.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Its for next winter Dave, I am stocking up with kit this side of the pond in case we get sent back to Belgium as there is a bit of a shake up at work at the moment.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Tommy, nice pic.

David Ure

@familyguy

Just pulling your chain!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I got that Dave :-)

Just saying whats happening down the coal mines.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if you're not going to load it too heavy, the Pinnacle at ~ 70-75 liters does a good job of eating up bulky winter gear, I added a light frame to mine in case I end up carrying snowhoes or the like- carrying snowshoes and a shovel I'm still under 30 #'s for a 3 day outing

as one of the posters mentioned, shelter weight (and volume!) can vary pretty wildly in the winter from a pyramid @ 2#'s to 9#+ for a heavy duty Hillberg or the like, that will most certainly influence your pack choice

you probably guessed, but I'm using a 2# pyramid :)

that's my wife's diminutive pack in the background, have to keep hers extra light!!!!

photo pinnacleloaded_zpsd7b465be.jpg

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That looks nice Mike, I have an Rei Flash 62 for weights under 30lbs or so, this one is going to be a big ass load hauler.

Al.

I am thinking I will bite the bullet and give Dan MChale a call, I know his packs are expensive but if I don't have to buy another winter pack for 10 years then I am up money.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Check out Section Hiker. His March 14 2013 post had his winter backpacking gear list for the White Mountains, where he's been peak bagging. He lists something called a Cold Cold World Chaos Backpack, with a listed weight of 58 ounces. He quotes a total weight of 44 pounds of gear, food, fuel and water for a 4 day trip, and a total skin out weight of 52.7 pounds.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Here's sectionhiker's review of the Chaos Diane mentions above:

http://sectionhiker.com/cold-cold-world-chaos-backpack/

And a more recent recap of winter pack recommendations:

http://sectionhiker.com/the-best-backpacks-for-winter-hiking-and-backpacking/

David Ure

@familyguy

NM

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

McHale Rear

mchale side

mchale and scarp

Michael Wainfeld
    Spectator

@adox

Locale: EastCoast

McHale on the LT

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Just had a very pleasant pone call with Dan, the cheque is going in the post this week :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools