Topic

A first canoe trip..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports A first canoe trip..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

My wife and I recently enjoyed a very pleasant weekend in the Sierra on our canoe.

We are recent victims of "Empty Nester Syndrome" and I think we have an unspoken agreement to assuage our grief by staying as busy as possible. This trip was part of that plan.

We parked the dog at my folks' and headed up towards Utica Reservoir near Arnold on Friday night. By the time we got situated it was too late to get to the reservoir so we stopped for the night at a NF campground along the highway. In the morning we headed over to Utica after stopping in Bear Valley for a bottle of wine.

We were surprised how many people were around. I can't imagine how busy it would be before Labor Day. But it really wasn't that bad after we got out on to the lake. The entire lake shore is open for disbursed camping, so we paddled around for an hour or so and found a nice spot overlooking the lake almost at the far end. We set up camp, hiked and paddled around a bit. It was windy so the paddling required concentration and hard work, not what we were after.

We spent a very nice evening and paddled out in the morning……..we definitely look forward to more canoe camping!

Big Agnes

Our Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. Perfect for the two of us.

ready

Ready to head out.

bluff

The view from our bluff.

campsite

Our campsite in the morning. Notice Jennifer's excellent windbreak beside her on the granite slab.

way out

On the way out….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools