Topic

Protecting a fosters can

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Protecting a fosters can

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

Locale: Flatlands of Virginia

Lots of coconut water cans have ridges, but they are all right at 17.5 oz, which I think is a little too small. We need to boil 2 cups at a time, and that doesn't leave much room at the top for boiling/spillage. For a soloist, might be a great option.coconut water cans with ridges

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I think only the tops and bottoms of those are aluminum. Looking at the side seam on those sure looks like a steel can.

Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

I think you are right. I remember getting a can of coconut water like this a while back, and it was a little heavy, so it probably is steel.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

The coconut cans are steel and are heavier than a Fosters pot. Once I weighed one empty, I didn't bother going any further with it. Besides being only 17 oz which is a bit too small, it is also very narrow, which means that it would likely be inefficient with regards to stove fuel. I have a Snow Peak Ti bowl that Dale mentioned. They work very well, are strong, and mine weighs 1.7 oz. I only carry the Ti mug (2.6 oz) because the shape and handle make it easy to nest my stove and fuel canister inside and clip it to the outside of my pack.

Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

We tried for several hours to get a ring from a tuna fish can, ala Intense Outdoor Gear's YouTube video, into the top of a cut off foster's can to no avail. I am not sure why, maybe the foster can is slightly smaller than it used to be :(

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools