Topic

Thoughts on JRB Stealth Quilt layered w/ WM Highlite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thoughts on JRB Stealth Quilt layered w/ WM Highlite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James Drake

@justducky456

Locale: Colorado High Country

Howdy,

I have a couple first time questions for the forum. I'm looking to lighten my pack (baseweight is around 19 lbs). My only bag right now is a 10 year old 53 ounce FF 0 degree bag with DryLoft. This is my biggest target for weight reduction right now.

I live above 10,000 feet. Most of my backpacking is in the CO Rockies and Southern Utah desert/canyon country.

My thoughts are to purchase a WM Highlite (or Summerlite) for warmer weather camping and possibly layer with a Jacks-R-Better Stealth Quilt for the shoulder seasons. Even with the bag and quilt together the weight is a respectable 1 pound 14 ounces.

The quilt doubles as a serape so I should be able to leave my 16ounce down jacket at home. I also figure the quilt will fit in my dog's pack. If I don't need it at night he could use it for a bit of extra warmth.

Any thoughts on this system for the conditions I might face?

Secondly, I am 5'6". Should I go with a regular 6' bag or a 5'6"bag. I'm concerned that since I'm right at the bag length it will be too short. My current 6' bag is slighly too long but I can put clothing at the foot of the bag to take up space. Any insight on bag length for me?

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Jim, I'm doing the same thing but from a different angle. I use a JRB No Sniveller for warmer weather camping and a WM Versalite Super for cold weather. I haven't done this yet, but my plan is to layer my quilt over my bag when it gets really cold. I've spent the last several weeks sleeping comfortably in my quilt, in my house, at about 63°F. I've been comfortable down to 37°F outside and I think I can go much lower. I think a quilt has a wider comfort range than a bag. A quilt can be a little more difficult to use, however. It takes a little skill to deal with drafts. A bag is, by design, fairly draft free. Above about 65°F, in still air, the No Sniveller becomes rather warm for me. Someone who owns the Stealth can hopefully give an idea of it's range.

Richard Matthews

@food

For me a 48" wide quilt is great as a hammock quilt, but it is not wide enough to use as an overquilt.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Good point Richard. I haven't layered my quilt over a bag yet. I had anticipated doing this in my hammock where I thought it might work. You don't need as much width in a hammock. Now that you mention it, I'm doubtful that it would work on the ground with a quilt as narrow as the No Sniveller or Stealth. I use hat clips as straps to keep the edges of the quilt under me when on the ground. I'll have to try this with my sleeping bag. I think Jim's best bet is just to use a quilt for 3 season use.

Richard Matthews

@food

Eric,

I use a No Sniveller with a Nunatak Arc Alpinist for winter. The AA is 55" wide and fits over the NS well. The AA footbox is so narrow that you loss a lot of loft to compression. I use a coat over the AA.

James Drake

@justducky456

Thanks for your insight. I'm still undecided on a bag, quilt, or combo. Right now I'm looking at the WM Ultralite, WM Summerlite, or the the Nunatak Arc Alpinist. I've never really used a quilt and I'm a bit hesitant to make the jump. The Arc Alpinist also carries a higher $ premium. Both the bag and quilt have 2.5" of loft. The quilt does have the benefit of extra space for layering and a weight savings of 5 ounces. I like the idea of a bag to eliminate drafts and also the integrated hood for colder temps. Some of the quilt reviews say they bought a seperate down hood for lower temps which negates some of the weight savings while adding even more $'s to the equation. As usual, I'm over evaluting but I can't afford to spend $300+ on something I won't like. Decisions…decisions.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Jim, I received a JRB Hood and Sleeves for Christmas. I intend to use them when it's below freezing. I haven't needed them for typical 3 season use. The hood on your bag is weight you are carrying rather you need it or not. The versatility of the JRB quilts is hard to beat. Have you ruled out the JRB quilts? Have you seen the article on Unconventional Sleep Systems?

James Drake

@justducky456

Eric, I haven't completely ruled out the No-Sniveller. BPL does give it very positive reviews. I've spent WAY too much time reading reviews and articles including the one you mention :). The versatility is very appealing. I just don't have enough experience to know if I will be comfortable with a quilt in temps near or below freezing. I'm sure the WM Ultralite would be more than adequate for me. Perhaps the No-Sniveller with my base layers, down jacket, and fleece hat is enough. It would be a leap of faith for me.

I will be thinking it over this weekend as I'm lugging around my 0 degree bag.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Jim you will not need the down jacket for the 32* range you are seeking… Base layer, incl socks and balaclava and a No Sniveller is easy 32 for most folk, especially on the ground…. If you want to totally eliminate the air leak issues of a quilt consider the Down to Earth torso length 1/8 eversote pad converter… Pad and quilt and compression sack will come in under 1lb 8 oz… All the security of a bag… and …all the flexibility of a wearable quilt…plus an included pad…

There is a spot-light posted on this approach back in Jan…

Remember I'm biased.

Pan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools