Topic

PCT: Blouder Oaks to Mount Laguna

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning PCT: Blouder Oaks to Mount Laguna

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

Are there any streams or water sources between these two trail heads?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Sometimes the water faucets at Boulder Oaks are on. Just because one faucet doesn't work doesn't mean none of them work. If there's no water, there's a creek after you cross the road, just follow the drainage. If it were spring, you could backtrack a short distance and find another creek…I prefer this creek if I'm passing through and want to rest at Boulder Oaks.

A couple miles after you cross under the freeway, you'll see a creek bed below.

Shortly after that creek bed you'll cross another asphalt road, and then two miles later you get to a dirt road and can walk down to Cibbets Flat Campground and get water from the faucets there. There is a creek just before the dirt road and at the dirt road, but it's unlikely to have water right now.

Just before you climb into the trees, you'll get to a fork of sorts. If you follow the path/road to the left, you can get to a cattle trough with a pipe spring. I doubt it'll have water at this time of year though.

About a mile before you get to the Desert View Picnic Area at Mount Laguna, look to the left up the rise for a couple of metal benches. You can go up there to the campground and should find water if the campground is still open. A little afterwards there's a drinking fountain on the trail, and you can again go left into the campground. After that comes the aforementioned picnic area and Mount Laguna.

Halfmile's PCT maps have this info too.

I wouldn't count on any creeks for a few more months.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I do training runs on this section of the PCT all the time.
    right now do NOT count on there being any water in any of the streams.
    Like Eugene said :
    first guaranteed water source is Cibbetts Flat campground.
    turn off here is a dirt road 6.5 miles from Boulder Oaks, another half mile down to the campground.
    the next guaranteed water sourse is Burnt Rancheria Campground which is about 2 miles before Mt Laguna Village. its on the left side of the trail. there is no sign but there is a side trail leading to the campground. water here is only a couple 100 yds off the PCT.
    2 miles further is Desert View Picnic Area, this is guaranteed water but you are essentially at Mt Laguna Village when you hit Desert View.

Beyond Mt Laguna Village, the next guranteed water is at Penny Pines (but sometimes turned off in winter to keep pipes from freezing). Penny Pines is 6 miles north of Mt Laguna Village.

I know this area very well, feel free to ask more questions.

Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

are the faucets at cibblet flat tap water?

also in November will there be water running in the creeks?

thanks guys!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

There's no way it's tap water. It's probably safe to drink without filtering if that's what you're asking.

You're looking at a 20 mile hike. I forgot to mention the creek in Long Canyon. On your trip, that would be the most beneficial spot to get water. The creeks having water will ultimately it's going to depend on how much rain the mountains get and when. If you want to gamble on water flowing in the creek at Long Canyon, here's what I'd do. I'd take the walk down to Cibbets Flat Campground to get water. While there, go down the path at the north east end of the campground. If that creek bed has water in it, then the creek in Long Canyon might too. On the other hand, if the creek under the freeway doesn't have water, I wouldn't expect there to be water anywhere else but faucets. It's 13 miles from Cibbets Flat to Mount Laguna.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

water from faucets is drinkable.
    have never seen any signs saying otherwise.
    do not count on any water in any stream in November.
    the stream crossing at Long Valley is the most likely to have water of any stream, but don't count on it.

16.7 miles from Boulder Oaks to Laguna.
    add another mile if you hike down do Cibbetts campground.
    are you planning this as an overnight, or as a long one day ?
    or as a section of an even longer trip ?

here are some really good maps to click on.

PCT Maps

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Thanks Art. I brain farted on the mileage. I was thinking it was only 3 miles from Lake Morena to Boulder Oaks.

I usually tank up in Fred Canyon and don't get my next water until Mount Laguna, although that was mostly because I had to wait at the creek for water to filter. Since Fred Canyon will almost certainly be dry, we're recommending Cibbets Flat instead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools