Topic

Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

A quick question for any of you with a SpinnTwinn tarp bought in the last year or two: how much does it actually weigh? I've seen conflicting details posted in various places and would like to know if it's down to changes in the tarp since some of the articles were written (perhaps a change in coating weight) or simply a case of different people including different things in the total.

I'm looking for the weight of the tarp and guys, but not including stuff sac, pegs and any other accessories. If you could also tell me whether the weight includes seam sealing that would be a help. Thanks.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I seem to remember mine weighing in right about 9 oz without seam sealing. I don't have it on a scale here though.

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Thanks, that seems to tally with a few other reports I've seen. Now, if only they weren't out of stock… :-)

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Mine is 10.75oz seam sealed with tie outs included.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

I bought one last summer. Mine weighs in at 11.4 oz with stuff sack and lines. Not seem sealed.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Mine was, as I recall, 0.1 oz. over the weight given in the GG website specifications. I bought it about a year ago. This was before seam sealing but included the stuffsack and the chunk of guyline they sent with it, which was at least 5 feet more than was needed. Obviously, seam sealing will add to the weight. I have since sold the Spinntwinn so can't verify. I discovered that my dog is restless all night under a tarp, so I'm back to the tent.

My experience with Gossamer Gear is that you can trust their website specifications. Of course if you're dealing with an older model bought used, the website specs could have changed. However, their outstanding customer service folks can undoubtedly dredge up older specs if that's the case.

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

Mine weighs 10.65oz, seams sloppily sealed, with lines, in the gg spinn stuff sack.

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Thank you, everyone. That gives me a much better idea of the likely weight and makes the tarp a bit easier to compare with alternatives.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools