Topic

BackCountry Boiler

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BackCountry Boiler

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

I ordered one of these about 3 weeks ago, but delivery time was stated as 5-7 weeks, so I still have a few weeks to go. Just wondered if any of you have received the 2nd generation boilers yet, and if the quality control issues have been resolved. I do mostly freezer bag cooking, so I think this system will work for me. I also ordered the firefelt alcohol burner for those places where open fires aren't allowed.

John Doe
    BPL Member

@jessearl

I ordered my Backcountry Boiler on Aug. 20.

Nothing has arrived yet and haven't received any shipping information.

I'm not sure if it'll just show up or if I'll get shipping notification.

Hopefully soon.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I expect that you'll receive a shipping notice when your order ships. I got one for mine, though it was part of the Kickstarter. I also got a notification from him when he shipped the FlyGrill that I ordered several months ago, and which arrived sometime in the last day or two. My mailbox was pretty full today ;)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Recently Devin asked for a volunteer to help him preapare the new batch of BBs.
    I was going to fly over to give him a hand but remembered that I had to cut my toenails , still I thought about it.
    BBs

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I paid for mine on June 10, 2011 and I still have not yet received it.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Hi all – here are some updates on the new Boilers (I make them for those who might not know):

@ Johns Coyle and Doe: Both the anodized and non-anodized Boilers are on schedule to ship in the times quoted on the site. For the non-anodized Boilers, that's next week! You will get a shipping notice when they go. The only QC problems I've ever had were with a single fabricator I no longer use. You'll really like these. Really, they're awesome!

@ Rakesh: So, what do you think of the FlyGrill?

@ Franco: You're welcome any time! I actually have the first work-trader coming in tomorrow. I'm really looking it!

@ John Abela: I don't know what else to say. I'm still aware you don't have your Boiler, still apologetic about that fact, still sending out updates on progress (another is going out today), and still doing everything in my power to get them out as soon as possible. The refund offer is also still available, as it has always been.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"@ Rakesh: So, what do you think of the FlyGrill?"

I haven't had a chance to try doing anything with it yet, but it's lighter than I'd expected, looks well made, and is a little narrower than I expected, also. It's basically fish-shaped. I like that it's very light, yet includes both a grill and a cutting board for the weight.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks for the feedback, Rakesh! It is basically fish-shaped. :)

I look forward to hearing what you think of it in use!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

I hope I have a chance to use it soon… with any luck I'll be able to get out in the back country sometime in October!

At least I had a few great trips this summer…

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

June 10, 2011 and still no boiler.. My math could be a little off but I think today is the 468 day mark. Was Big Sky manufacturing these????

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Lawson, you really going to go there. Why?

Chris
    BPL Member

@staplebox

Locale: New England

I feel like I am missing something, so I am glad someone 'went there'. I am fairly new here, which may be why I am not following how 1+ year old orders can go unfilled while the newer model of the product is shipping out next week.

I am somewhat interested in the stove but these things I read about kickstarter, QC and wonky order fulfillment give me pause. The "work for a stove" proposal is strange too.

Is it possible to just normally buy one of these? Can I just send money and expect a stove in the mail in a week?

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

@ Chris – The short version is that the Boilers are made in batches, and the last fabricator didn't produce as many satisfactory Boilers as were contracted for. So John A. and others elected to wait for the next batch rather than take a refund.

I've now hooked up with some really excellent shops and those who were waiting for the standard Backcountry Boiler will have it shipped to them next week. If you ordered a standard Backcountry Boiler today, it would ship out next week or the following. The anodized Boilers take a bit longer to manufacturer, so they'll be going out to those who have already ordered in a few weeks. That batch of anodized Boilers has now sold out and the next is beginning, so if you ordered an anodized Boiler today, it would take about 7-9 weeks.

I have to say, I'm not sure what's strange about a work trade program. I've had a handful of folks interested in it, and the first came in last week. He's looking forward to the stove, and I can sure use the help. He assembled about half of the FireFelts that will be going out next week and did quite a nice job.

If you'd like the know more about the whole Boiler story, you can find a lot in these forums (where I developed it) or on my blog at http://www.theboilewerks.com.

Edit: you know it's late when you misspell your own url. It's http://www.theboilerwerks.com. :)

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

The work/trade offer is excellent, a really good method of mutual exchange, what's not to like?

Devin has done something exceptional in creating the Backcountry Boiler and bringing it to market… He then did something even more exceptional, he improved it!

After which, rather than get complacent, he got even more creative by bringing out the FlyGrill and devising SparkMade.

Some things in life are worth waiting for, the Backcountry Boiler is one of those things, and Devin is a 100% Stand Up Guy!

John Doe
    BPL Member

@jessearl

I got an email yesterday from Devin that my Boiler has shipped.

I'm hoping that the folks that ordered one a year ago got the same thing.

Either way I'm excited to get my boiler and can't wait to go and try it out.

Thanks Devin!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

I have a feeling that you're going ot like it. My only concern is that the firebase has a relatively small diameter, so you do have to be careful regarding stability, but it looks as if bracing it with rocks and such works nicely. I haven't had a chance to try it in the field because I ended up in no-fire zones on my last two trips, but I'm hoping to get a chance soon… though with both school and work, I'm not likely to get much backpacking in this fall, unfortunately :(

I do plan, however, to make up for lost time when my current session in school ends in July…

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

My only concern is that the firebase has a relatively small diameter, so you do have to be careful regarding stability

I gotta say that this has been an issue that has bugged me from the day I first came across these type of systems.

What exactly is the design theory in having the base shrink in, rather than expand out???

Is it an engineering requirement? Is it just because it is the way it has always been done?

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

>>What exactly is the design theory in having the base shrink in, rather than expand out???

On pre-existing Chimney Kettle designs, the firebowl is inverted and stored inside the kettle for transport. So I suppose the BCB is the same?

Michael Lyons

@michaellyonspcisys-net

Locale: Rocky Mountains

@ John Abela
    @ J Mole

>>What exactly is the design theory in having the base shrink in, rather than expand out???

>>On pre-existing Chimney Kettle designs, the firebowl is inverted and stored inside the kettle for >>transport. So I suppose the BCB is the same?

Yes, the BCB is the same as the Kelly, Ghillie, Eydon, and most other chimney kettles in that the firepan inverts and stores inside the base of the kettle.

The New Zealand Thermette firepan stores around the outside of the base. The Eco-billy (and a couple I can't remember the names of off the top of my head) have the fire 'skirt' built-in, but the fire is built on the ground.

In all fairness to the tapered firebase, I've never tipped one over in many years of use. And I've got…let's see…12 chimney kettles (including the BCB) that I can think of. There's probably more. (Yes, I've got a problem) :)

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

Phew!

I thought it was just me… I have five in total, and I can see that rising! (o:

Michael Lyons

@michaellyonspcisys-net

Locale: Rocky Mountains

>> Phew!

>> I thought it was just me… I have five in total, and I can see that rising! (o:

@ Callahan

My Mother's name was Callahan…maybe it's in our blood?
    ;)

John Doe
    BPL Member

@jessearl

My boiled arrived yesterday and I gotta say I can't wait to use it.

The millwork on the boiler looks great. There are no rough edges on the spout or in the firebox cutout. I like that the bottom lip of the boiler is now seamless. I read somewhere that that is a change for the original version.

The neoprene wrap fits securely enough but is still easy to remove if needed. And I thought that the included coffee and tea packets were a nice touch packed in with the instruction manual.

The stopper fits very snugly. A little tougher than someone would prefer to make it easy to close but then also a strong enough seal that you don't have to be concerned with it popping out while on the trail.

I'd prefer that the opening for the carry pouch be a slightly larger diameter at the top to make the boiler fit inside easier.

Overall this looks like a great product. Thanks Devin!

Adams Gibbs

@adamsgibbs

I ordered Backcountry boiler 20 days ago and got the delivery in just 5 working days. Thanks to xxx shippers who didn't let me to wait for one more week. The boiler is working absolutely well. No issue.

A shade too commercial re the shipper for a first post. But good to hear you are happy.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

This close up photo of my Kelly Kettle shows there is no taper like the BCB. The KK was engineered to have as much stability as possible. The diameter of the fire bowl is slightly smaller than the base of the pot.

I purchased a used BCB here on BPL to compare it to a KK. I did some test burns and found the BCB to be a little too tippy for my likings. It's necessary to feed twigs into it in order to get 2 cups to boiling. You have to be really careful when feeding twigs so you don't tip it over. Because of the taper on the fire bowl it's hard to get the twigs stacked vertical for a top lighting load. If the fire goes out and the kettle needs to be lifted, the twigs lean over edge causing the kettle to be difficult to replace onto the bowl. Fire making skills really come into play when firing up a BCB. If you din't practice a lot befor going out on an extended journey you will get frustrated and wind up using your kettle with alcohol only.(not good)

These are photobucket photos. The close up can be cliked on to enlarge:

<center>

</center>

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hi Dan – the Backcountry Boiler was also engineered for as much stability as possible while allowing the base to fit inside the chimney (disclosure for the forum, I make the Boiler). I've never used a Kelly Kettle, but since you have both it would be interesting to see the base diameter to height ratio. I would be quite surprised if it were higher on the Kelly than the Boiler.

In practice, I haven't gotten many reports of instability on the Boiler. If you can find a 3" circle of flat surface, you should be good to go. If you have any stability problems while feeding in sticks, they may be too large. But if it's still a problem, I recommend holding the Boiler by the insulating sleeve while feeding.

If you break up your fuel well enough, it is possible for a single-batch boil, but I do prefer to add them while the fire is going. I also tend to recommend not taking the Boiler off the base while it's going, unless it has already boiled. I'm not really sure why this would need to be done. The fire will burn best with the Boiler all together.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on how to get the most out of your Boiler, I'm happy to answer them and will follow this thread.

Best – Devin

edit: I now seem to capitalize every iteration of the word "boil" :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools