Topic

Changing LED Tint With Filters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Changing LED Tint With Filters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

Hi All,
    I found this thread over at CandlePowerForums, and did some experimenting (basically, the swatches are samples of photographic gels, 1" x 3", that are used in movies and photography to balance the color or temperature of source lighting). For flashlights and headlamps, the typical cool-blue tint of LEDs falls short outdoors, as browns and grays tend to lump together visually to some. Warmer LEDs (non-existent in the mainstream manufacturers like Petzl, Princeton Tec, and Black Diamond, etc.) make these colors "pop," often improving visual clarity on the trail. Of course, YMMV.

All I can say is WOW! I took my c. 2007 bluish Fenix L0D and fitted a tiny circle of #3409 (a pinkish, beigeish color) over the front, and now I have a near-perfect cream white color light that rivals my c. 2011 "neutral" Quark AA XML. I have since "balanced" my c. 2008 Fenix LD1 and my "aging" Zebralight H30. (For the H30, I chose a slightly warmer #3408 gel since I use that more outdoors.) I can't wait to "balance" my Princeton Tec EOS, and my rather ugly NiteIze TaskLit (0.9 oz headlamp).

Adding a filter works (so far) best for single-LED lights; I'm not sure how these filters would fit over a Tikka-style lights. (For the Tikka lights, removing and tracing the clear filter might help.)

Note that adding a filter always lowers the amount of transmitted light, typically 10-15%. But contrast this with the warmer LEDs: they always have lower lumen levels anyway, so it's about a wash in the end.

gregory tomlinson

@osconfused

Locale: New York City

great idea, I was recently looking for something similar for my ld01 and I came across a thread that suggested using chapstick / lib balm lids. I picked up some red, green and white lids ($3 for all of them) and I really like the effect. the lids are especially nice because they create some what of asofter light on the edges that makes it a bit easier to read by.

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

Chapstik caps are perfect for changing light colors; many AAA lights are sized exactly for these caps, but there are variations, so I've accumulated a collection. I'm fond of a green cap as it mimics the NVG (night vision green) LEDs.

I prefer to wrap the surface of the white caps in black tape so the backspill of light (conducted thru the white plastic) doesn't distract so much.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools