Topic

Post your favorite hot-water-only recipes.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Post your favorite hot-water-only recipes.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    E.L. Boston

@el_jefe

Locale: The Pacific Northwest

I will never give up my stove; I get far too much enjoyment from my morning coffee, hot meals at the end of a long day, and cups of tea right before bed. However, I've decided to try streamlining a bit and, at this stage, that means preparing meals that require only boiling water to complete. I've found some really good recipes scattered about the web, but I thought it might be nice to hear from the community, too.

While *I* am most interested in dinner recipes (I am quite content with breakfasts of hot cereals), other folks viewing this thread might find breakfast recipes useful too, so if it's tasty and requires only boiling water to prepare, post it here!

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

Cheesy Bacon Grits

1/2 cup instant grits, or 2 packets
    1/2 cup or more crumbled Goldfish crackers
    Handful of Hormel Real Bacon bits, sold in the salad toppings section.
    (optional) A little bit of Nido powder helps add some creaminess, and calories.

Simply add 2 cups boiling water and wait a couple minutes.

Cold granola and Nido milk are at the top of my list, but for a hot breakfast the above recipe is very satisfying, and easy to mix up at home in freezer bags before heading out.

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

Simple Steak Taco Rice

1/2 cup instant rice
    1/4 cup dehydrated Just Veggies (preferably the corn and bell pepper variety)
    1/4 tsp of cumin
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tps onion powder
    About 1/2 of the pack of cheese mix from a box of mac and cheese
    1/4 cup of natural jerky, not grocery store brands as they won't rehydrate
    1 tbs of Nido powder
    (optional) hot sauce condiment packet

Add 1 1/2 cup boilng water and wait about 5 minutes. Makes a hearty meal, and awesome wrapped in a tortilla.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools