Topic

Double duty for bear bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Double duty for bear bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

The dry bag that I want to buy at zpacks is the same size as their bear bag that I already have. Since I keep my food in a odor proof bag, would it be ok to hang my food n the bear bag at night and store my top quilt/under quilt in the bear bag during the day to keep it dry? This would give me multiple use of my bear bag, but I'm just worried about my quilts picking up a food scent from the bear bag ( even though my foods in a op bag) is this a good multiple use idea or am I asking for trouble? -Eric

Ray Klahne
    BPL Member

@klahne

Locale: South Florida

This is what I do. Only difference is I utilize the bag from my tent fly.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think we're fooling ourselves if we think our stuff doesn't pick up some food odors just being in the same pack all day. I also suspect we're fooling ourselves if we think a bear can't tell the difference between food and stuff that's been next to food. I wouldn't worry about double-dutying your dry bag. I'd worry more about the raspberry shampoo you used before you left home.

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

Thanks for the reassurance. I can save an 1 oz and about $25 lol

Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

Funny this thread just came up because I was thinking the same thing. I have a BA Pumphouse which can be used as a dry sack/pump for air pad/shower. I was thinking about using it to put my food in, pump up my pad, and was as a bear bag. Good to know I shouldn't have to worry about and food smell problems.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Todd Taylor wrote, "I'd worry more about the raspberry shampoo you used before you left home."

Or the peanut butter sandwich before bedtime?

I have an old black GoLite LandLubber stuff sack. All my food and cooking gear goes up in the air.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools