Topic

Yosemite’s Cathedral Range Sept 21-23

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Yosemite’s Cathedral Range Sept 21-23

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I realized I am free of responsibility next weekend and so it seems appropriate to seize the opportunity to get in another trip before autumn and winter set in. It is short notice but I wanted to see if anyone is interested in going from Friday through Sunday to Cathedral lakes area. The idea is to explore Cathedral Lakes, Echo Lake, Matthes Lake and Nelson Lake or others. These lakes would involve some off-trail hiking and I would love to have some company for safety and because its always more fun. I am not married to any particular itinerary. I am open to big miles, a leisurely weekend outing or anything in-between.

I don't yet have a permit but the plan is to grab a walk up permit on Friday morning. Is anyone interested?

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I already have a trip planned for next weekend. Have a good hike.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Thanks, you too Marc.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I was near there for September 12-14. Lots of streams have already dried up, so now some of the lakes are shrinking, and that is making it harder to get good water. This has been such a dry season that there aren't too many wildflowers left. The good news is that there is still some wildlife around.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If things don't work out this weekend and you can swing the next weekend feel free to join us up here. The deer miss you. It's also deer season. Get your revenge.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Bob, thanks for the update. It was partially your report on this area from a while back that generated my interest in this area.

Ken, if I could trade weekends and go to Trinity I definitely would. Unfortunately, I have an obligation that weekend. Those Morris Meadow deer will have to get their comeuppance another time.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

David, the last time that I was directly in the Cathedral Range was last year about this time. But, that was a wet year. Mathes Crest was a great scene in early morning.

If you do get in there, another lake to check on is Reymann Lake. Yes, I know. Nobody goes there. It is upstream from Nelson Lake, and there is no real trail. If you hit it right, you can go directly up to the ridge above it that connects over the pass to Elizabeth Lake and the Elizabeth-Nelson Trail.

–B.G.–

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hey David, wish I could come but I don't think I can take a 3-day weekend right after I got back from a long vacation.

FYI, there is a nice use trail for climbers going to Cathedral Peak that goes up Budd Creek. It splits off left from the JMT about 5 or 10 minutes from the Cathedral trailhead and is a much nicer walk. There is also a spur trail that goes to Budd Lake which had lots of fish last time I was there. Once the trail peters out at the base of Cathedral's SW face it is easy cross country to Cathedral Pass and Echo Lake.

Andrew

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Andrew,

Thanks for the tip. It looks like there are so many possible routes to take. Sorry you can make it. I can understand wanting a break after your high route trip. I really enjoyed the pictures and report.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"It splits off left from the JMT about 5 or 10 minutes from the Cathedral trailhead and is a much nicer walk."

I remember the spur trail as being a little farther uphill than that, but it isn't marked and is easy to miss. As you start on that side trail, there is an infrared trail counter mounted on a tree. I suspect NPS wants to see how many backpackers are using the usage trail.

Yes, heading from there over to Echo Lake is the fun part.

–B.G.–

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools