Topic

In Denver- Want to do some ultralight weekend trips in Colorado this fall?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning In Denver- Want to do some ultralight weekend trips in Colorado this fall?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this website for a while whittling down my gear and now I'm finally a member. It's time to put my new gear to the test. Just bought a quilt that can extend into the shoulder season. :)

Anyway, I'm looking for ultralight hiking partners this fall for weekend trips in the Colorado Rockies.

I did the Gore Lake hike outside of Vail a few weeks back and it was awesome! I'm doing the Buffalo Peaks wilderness next weekend. I'm looking for more weekend loop ideas, and I'm willing wake early and to drive a bit to trailheads.

I'll be honest that as a super friendly 40 yr. old professional woman, I would prefer to hike with other women or couples to start- this is the internet and all, but I'm open to networking with other ultralighters in Denver..to learn more.

Do you know anyone that might be a good fit for me?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Well I'm not a hiking partner but I can suggest a few ideas of hikes. You should really check out Lost Creek Wilderness as a shoulder season destination its low elevation and close to Denver. There are two loops through the area that connect and form a figure 8. The easternmost loop on Goose Creek seems to be the more popular route (about 20 miles). The other loop starts at Lost Park Campground and is about 27 miles. It goes up above treeline for views of Pikes Peak and across South Park. I think combining both loops results in a loop of about 34 miles so you have multiple options.
    You can also do a route along the crest of the Kenosha Mtns. know as the "Alphabetizer" route. Check out summitpost.org for info on this route.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Hi Luke,

Thanks those are great ideas! I have been to Lost Creek before, but I haven't done the longer loops that you suggested. My current backpacking buddy prefers to do no more than 5 miles per day and carries a heavier load right now (although I'm trying to nudge her in the light direction!). Anyway, I'll look into these.

Anyone else in Colorado interested in testing gear this fall?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

There is also a meetup group of backpackers in Colorado.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I was hoping to connect with others that are gear geeks..ha ha. But, they have a Meet and Greet this Friday that I can go to! I'm already in the Colorado Mtn. Club too, but they don't post a lot of backpacks that can be done on the weekends.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Interesting that you are doing the Buffalo Peaks loop. I love that area and am planning a loop there the weekend of Oct 13/14 (Sat/Sun) or 19/20 (Fri/Sat). I would also echo the Lost Creek Wilderness area due to it's lower altitude. Of course at some point in October we will normally get a big storm in the mountains and that will cutoff much ability to do traditional backpacking on trails so anything planned in October will be subject to weather.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Buffalo Peaks was absolutely stunning. Loved the trip and aspens were at their peak. I hope you have a great time. I'll likely try to hit Lost Creek on some October weekend when the weather looks right.

Good point about the snow…do you hike in snow? I learned to winter camp last year, and I have microspikes and snowshoes. I'm actually hoping to get a Tarptent Scarp 1 so I can continue into the snow season.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools