Topic

what’s the preferred method of fixing damaged no-see-em mesh?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what’s the preferred method of fixing damaged no-see-em mesh?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Hi guys,

I have a tent that when I was choosing my tent site I didn't check properly and a stick punctured my no-see-em mesh. I was very lucky as the stick just missed my air mattress and this happened on the first night of our weekend!

Anyway, what materials do you use and what glue or method?

Thank you.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Can you sew it back together or do you need to add a patch? Sewing either way will yield satisfactory results.

John Ebner

@jebner

Locale: Big Thicket

I have a lab that loves to bring me sticks….even when I'm sleeping. Size doesn't matter to her and on more than one occasion she's decided to try to bring me a branch. As a result I've gotten a couple of small tears in my mesh. It's a pretty easy fix. I just neatly sew it up and then cover the thread and a little of the mesh (on both sides, inside and outside) with either silnet or just plain silicone and let it dry. I've found that without the silicone that if you pull on the netting in the area of the repair (testing the stitch) the netting can separate. If repaired this way it will be stronger than the netting itself.

Here's an example:

repair

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Thanks guys that's good start for me :)

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Mik,

A Kea ripped my tent apart while in NZ and I used some cuben tape in my repair kit. It is still going super strong with no sign of coming off. A good fix if you don't like sewing.

All the best,

Jeremy.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've used adhesive backed ripstop repair tape with good success. I put a 1" wide piece over a rip in my nylon windbreaker and it has held well for many months. Windbreaker has gone through the washer and dryer several times too.

Adhesive backed insignia cloth seems to work as well.

I wish adhesive backed mosquito netting was available. That would be perfect.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Here's another alternative. I haven't used the product.

here

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools