Topic

Pole for SMD Gatewood Cape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pole for SMD Gatewood Cape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I am currently using an old aluminum multi-piece pole on my SMD GC.
    For obvious reasons of brand synergy, I am leaning toward the SMD 3-piece carbon fiber Easton pole with shock cords that they purvey.

However, I like a fairly stiff pole which will not have much deflection in the wind, and I can't see any indication of diameter or relative "stiffness" on this SMD pole.
    I find the 48-49" length to be a good one for my set-up. It needs to have a top section with a pin-end style that can go thru the grommet in the SMC GC support harness.

Do we have any recommendations or comments on this pole, or what might be a suitable one for my use? Or comments about the SMD pole being stiff enough for resist most deflection from moderate(sub-35mph) winds?

Thank you!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Sorry, I can't comment about the storm-worthiness of the SMD poles, but since you're looking for a replacement pole, would you consider one of the Gossamer Gear LT4 (adjustable) trekking poles? They're only 4.1 ounces each and you can sometimes find a single one for sale on Gear Swap.

I use an LT4 with my Gatewood and what's so nice about it is that it's adjustable. I base how I put up the Gatewood upon the weather…

Nice and not too windy? I'll raise the Gatewood up so that there's at least 6" the whole way around for maximum ventilation.

Windy and stormy? I'll pitch it touching the ground, at least in the direction from which the wind is currently blowing, and sometimes the whole way around.

Having an adjustable pole really makes different pitching options easier. I can tell you that the LT4 will be good and sturdy with winds up to 30 mph. I'm assuming you don't use trekking poles (or you wouldn't be looking for a pole) but having one strapped to the side of your pack could come in quite handy if you ever sprain an ankle.

Just a thought…

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Since I don't use trekking poles, I didn't really think of that option.
    But now that you mention it, it actually might be a pretty good idea.
    I'll look into that.

Thanks!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Hopefully you'll find a single pole on Gear Swap. I don't think you'd be disappointed. I love hiking with poles and the six guys who usually hike with me have all converted to using them. This might be a first step for you…

Good luck!

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I have the 45" carbon fiber pole from SMD. I think it is about 3-4" too short for my preferred setup of my Wild Oasis. I prefer to use one trekking pole made from a golf club shaft for my setup. I would sell the SMD pole to you if you wanted to try it.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Hi Andy,
    Thanks, but I also prefer the 49" pole length. I need the long one.

Chris
    BPL Member

@staplebox

Locale: New England

Here is what I did-

I just picked up a Cape from the swap here. I got the zpacks CF 48" pole to go with it. I measure it at 48.5" rubber tip to rubber tip and the 5 sections break down to 11 3/8". It seems to be 5/16 OD without a caliper. 1.5 oz.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tent_pole.shtml

~48 inches seem to be better then the 45 would be. As zpacks sells it- it does not work out of the box. It needs a tip to fit into the Cape grommet. On my project list.

I only set it up once but it was gusting to about 25 at that time. Even without a correct tip it held up just fine. I am not sure how much I can trust the pole just yet though. It does not seem 'robust' but CF always seems to fool me.

edit – grammar

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I got one of the zPacks carbon fiber poles with my Hexamid. Way too much flex for me in high winds, although I did not have a real problem. But I don't have a lot of confidence in that pole.

I bought a much sturdier carbon fiber pole from rutalocura.com. Check them out.

It weighs 3 oz versus 1 oz for the original one I got.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I just found out from Josh at Ruta Locura that he has a pole adjuster in the .450" size as well as the one listed for the .600 .
    Not sure why he wanted to keep those to himself but here you have it…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools