Topic

Bike bags to Back Pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Bike bags to Back Pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    robert perks

@rperks

I have a couple of bag designs that have made it to paper, and before I take them to the next steps, pattern and sew, I am looking for a little feedback on the concept.

I generally ride with a bag system that is a hybrid between the traditional canvas French (handlebar)and English (saddle) touring bags and modern bikepacking gear. I have had an itch lately to make the bags easier to get off and on the bike for loading and unloading throughout the ride. Then it dawned on my that if I am going that far why not make the system so that the bags can clip together for ease of carry. That cascaded into a harness system, with a nod towards some of the tactical gear, that would allow you to pull the front and rear bag off and clip them, either one at a time or individually, into a wearable system. Front bag would be between 500 and 800 ci, and rear would be 580 ci. Each with a couple of external pockets.

The system would serve a double purpose. I use the bike and gear for every day transport, and it would be nice to have the bags pop off and come with me in a wearable fashion when I lock up at my destinations. Second when touring, being able to leave the bike at a non-ridable trail head and hike in for a day or night or two, then back out to the bike.

Is this nuts? is it likely better to keep hiking gear and biking gear separate? Or am I an a path that others have thought about as well?

Rob

Ventura, Ca
    oceanaircycles.com

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

I do something very similar. I've been playing with various ways to strap loads to the bike for about a year and an half now.

The simplest method I've found so far is to just strap my whole pack to the seat post. It isn't the greatest way to do it, in terms of center of gravity, but that's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

I show how I do that in a video located here. I show it at the beginning and more at about the 7:30 mark.

The only additional gear I bring over and above my normal hiking stuff to attach the pack to the bike are three (now-polyester; I've switched over from nylon since the video) straps. I also bring my front pack/water bladder carrier, but that goes with me on colder trips regardless; only during the summer does it make a difference in weight from my normal gear.

The pack itself is based on the Molly Mac Pack, which makes this a little easier.

Hope it helps!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Nice video John Almond.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

Thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools