Topic

Flying to the White Mountains NH

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Flying to the White Mountains NH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

Looking to book flights to the Whites and was wondering would it be better to fly to Manchester or Boston?
    Also are there shuttles to any trail head towns or is it better to rent a car.

Any thoughts.

Cheers,

Stephen

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I live in Texas, and like to backpack in the Whites. I've tried both Manchester and Boston.

My preference is to get the first non-stop flight out of Houston into Boston. This gets me into Boston around 1 PM. I get a rental car, and drive to Pinkham Notch Visitors Center (PNVC), and spend the night at Joe Dodge Lodge. From PNVC, I can take the AMC shuttle to a number of trailheads. I can also take the shuttle back to PNVC if I don't hike back. The AMC shuttle runs from May to October. The rental car stays at PNVC. I can buy stove fuel at PNVC or EMS in North Conway.

When I'm done backpacking, I drive back to Boston, and get a late afternoon flight back to Houston.

There is a bus to PNVC from Logan airport, but it arrives fairly late at night. I believe the bus also stops in North Conway. There is another bus route that stops in Lincoln, NH.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the all the information, this is exactly what I need.

Have a great weekend,

Stephen

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Keep in mind that Manchester is like 1 hour away from the White Mt and Boston is more like 2 1/2 or 3 hours. Boston is also full of traffic and never fun to drive in. Manchester airport is conveniently near 93 a lot easier to get around and not any where near as busy. I can usually find cheaper ticket to and from Manchester. I would defiantly rent a car, public transportation simply isn't a priority in NH and the buses are few and far between with very few stops. With a car you can go anywhere on your own schedule.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

The downside of Manchester for me was the lack of non-stop flights, and the late afternoon/early evening arrival, which negated the shorter drive. The other airport I've used is Portland, Maine. Again, no non-stop flights, and late afternoon/early evening arrival.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Guys,

It's a pain for me to get the which ever way I go.

Looks like I have two two options.

1. Two hour drive to to Detroit, fly to Boston and then a three hour drive.
    2. One hour drive to local airport, fly to Manchester via Columbus and then one hours drive.

Tough call really.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

There are times when I think it would be easier to find a new job in area with closer opportunities for great backpacking…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I hear you,

Problem for me is I am on a 3 year secondment at HQ from Europe.

I fly out to the Rockies often which is about 7 hours door to door.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Do you have a municipal airport nearby? Some pilots fly fairly regular schedules. You might get lucky.

Too bad the rail system is all fouled up.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Ken,

Hope all is well mate.

There is a small private field bout 10 minutes drive away and a regional one 25 minutes away wih flight to Detroit, Chicago and Minneapolis.

I do miss getting the train, the high speed lines in Europe are great.

Do you mean trying to find a private pilot?

Cheers,

Stephen

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools