Topic

ULA H20 Amigo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA H20 Amigo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I didn't see a mention of it here, but I an announcement on the ULA facebook page that the Amigo will be back in stock "in a few weeks." There is even a photo on their web site. I am glad to see this return. I know there are lighter options out there, but nothing beats the amigo for convenience, ease, and speed. The thing is so fast and easy that I sometimes worry mine is not filtering at all.

They said it will use the Sawyer filter and weigh about 7oz. They will also sell the parts in case you already have the filter.

Anybody else excited by this coming back?

David Ure

@familyguy

What's the fill rating?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

550 ml per minute

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Three years ago, I would have been delighted! However, since then I made my own version using a dry bag as a water bag–far easier to fill thanks to the stiff rim. Not only is the circular bag of the Amigo very hard to fill (unless you have a convenient small waterfall) but it's harder to carry because the full water bag slips along the draw cord, sometimes letting one edge down to dump the gathered water onto your shoes. It's also extremely hard to fill when dipping with a pot, necessary when the water is shallow (such as the edge of a lake). The bag developed a leak after two summers of use and I had to ditch it, although I cannibalized some of the parts for my home-made setup.

With the advent of the Sawyer Squeeze (which can easily be configured as part of a gravity setup), I very much doubt I'd ever want to go back to the Amigo. (I won't be using my home-made version, either, since it has also developed a leak.) The Amigo was wonderful in its time (2006-8), but now there are better and lighter alternatives.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

I think rays design is better for a few reasons.

That being said I'll probably buy another one of these. :)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"What's the fill rating?"

This guy! ;-)

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Bright minds and all that. I just bought the sawyer in-line filter and replaced the old (heavy and slow) seychelles on my ULA filter. I also replaced their stock tubing with platypus line and now I can thread it on to my two liter platy clean bag. Like everything about it. Great system since '03 or before.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools