Topic

Stretchy cords for tarps in high winds?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stretchy cords for tarps in high winds?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I remember reading about people using cords with stretch in them for their tarps. They are supposed to prevent your tarp from ripping in high winds letting the tarp have some give.

Do you know what I am talking about? Is there some product out there like this?

Anthony Britner

@ant89

Locale: North Wales, UK

Shockcord.

example*
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/narrow_roll_goods.htm#ELASTIC CORD & SHOCK CORD

*Other retailers availible.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

A little heavy but they work well. They can pull pretty strong. Also help for silnylon sag overnight.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19526

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

"Shock Cord" was the word I was looking for. Thanks!

Ryan Nakahara

@kife42

Locale: Hawaii

I haven't tried shock cord, or the other elastic methods, but wouldn't it cause the tarp to flap more? I would think it would be more noisy in the wind, cause the tarp to hit you at night, allow more wind to get in, more condensation raining on you, etc.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

My plan was to attach a small length of shock cord to my regular cord. Hopefully I can get a knot to hold with that. A full length of shock cord would be overkill.
    With a little bit of shock cord it would flex a bit, but it wouldn't be smacking you in the face. In crazy wind I think it would be a lot better than having your tarp tie outs rip on you.
    If I wasn't dealing with high winds I wouldn't use them.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Ron at MLD recommends some shock cord between the tie out and the guy line on side panel tie outs. I am considering getting a Hexamid and this is something I would probably do on some of the tie outs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Two words.

projectile stake.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

I do this with the tie-outs on my ID SilWing. I just tie little loops of 1/4" shock-cord into the tarp tie-outs using Zeppelin Bends, then tie my guy line to that. This keeps the length of the (relatively) heavy shock-cord to a minimum, while providing double the tension strength of a single length of cord. The Zepplin Bends keep the forces pretty well in line with the cord. This has worked very well for me for a couple of years now…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I have made my own with a length of shock cord but I much prefer the tie outs with JRB's tensioners. Worked well even in cold.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I installed shock cords on my Contrail but after several trips I went back to the non stretch TripTease because I can get a better set up with those.
    Re-tensioning when the silnylon expands is not a problem for me but shock cords may help the ones for whom it is.
    Franco

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

So, filing down stakes to a sharp point for better ground penetration isn't a good idea Ken?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well if they stick in you, you'll know where they are. At least paint those heads orange so you can see them. I'll set up out of range from you in a couple of weeks.

TLG
    BPL Member

@cmich

I tried this once upon a time… I attached a short (3-4") piece of shock cord to the end of my guylines on my spinnshelter. What I found out was that it was extremely difficult if not impossible to get a nice taut pitch. You simply could not get proper tension on the guylines due to the give in the shock cord. By the time you actually achieved proper tension and a taut pitch the shock cord was stretched to its maximum and acted no different than solid cordage. I ditched the idea very quickly. Personally I would rather have my tarp taut like a drum and cutting the wind than having the shockcord allowing excessive flapping and potential rippage.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Hi Justin,

I posted a picture and a description of how to use shockcord on your tarp guylines in that thread Ken posted the URL for earlier in this thread.

It looks like this…

Safety line and shockcord arrangement

…and works in this way. Stake out your tarp guyline as you would normally but stretch the shockcord out as you do until you are pulling the guyline itself taut. The shockcord will take up the slack when and if your tarp begins to sag due to moisture, rain etc.

"They are supposed to prevent your tarp from ripping in high winds letting the tarp have some give".

I don't remember ever hearing of this as a reason for using these types of guyline tensioners. ;-?

Ken mentioned two words, "projectile stake".

If there are large enough rocks available lay one over each of you stakes or on your guylines just in front of your stakes. You don't want to wind up looking like this guy.

Flying stakes sink hikes

As far as the high winds go, are you taking advantage of any natural windbreaks? Think leeward and windward sides of a peak, etc. Are you pitching the foot end of your tarp low and pointed into the prevailing wind direction?

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Pinhead huh? This is what I had in mind.

11d7

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Stake catapult/trebuche new GGG activity?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Accuracy or distance?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

…. yes

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Kat,

My Google can't find the JRBs tensioners.

Do you have a link where I could see/buy them?

Daryl

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

First of all, I'm not a fan of line-tension gizmos because I've found that SilNylon tarps are incredibly strong. Secondly, I've discovered that most shock cord, and surgical tubing creations don't work when cold (Silicone tubing works pretty well though).

I'm just not seeing the need for them.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I think the original use was with regards to Sil sag.

The tarp is setup with tensioners taught, as the tarp sags, the tensioner retracts to maintaine the pitch.

I don't think the intended use was to provide stretch for wind gusts.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Cameron is correct.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

They are on the shelter and accessories products page:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/product-category/shelters-accessories/

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools