Topic

Nomad 30 liter roll top ruck

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Nomad 30 liter roll top ruck

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I made a new 30 liter ruck that weighs 25 ounces on the electronic post office scale at the post office with a Roll top closer that is able to extend 8 inches if you need more room. A tapered waterproof zippered front pocket like golite jam series of packs.

The pack is made out 420 ripstop fabric color slate from rocky wood is only $7.99 a yard. I have been experimenting with different fabrics for packs the 420 ripstop has a heavy polyurethane coating. I really like this fabric for being tough it's a great fabric for the MYOG person on budget who can't afford the real expensive advanced fabric and is not that heavy and you don't need to treat it with kid gloves like the lighter weight fabric packs.

I used 5/8 inch webbing pull down roll top and side compression and ITW/Nexus Jet series of hardware.I used the same Jandd Cloud 9 shoulder strap system I like to use on my packs.
    Thanks for looking,
    Terry

PS: I decided to add some ruff drawing of the patterns I used for this pack. I used a flexible ruler to dry the side profile.
    The pattern for the Jam style pocket show what shape it needs to be to get the contoured shape the line trough the upper half you cut in half sew the zipper. At it wide point it is 15 inches wide and it also is 16 inches tall .
    The side pocket pattern show how long and wide you need to make the fabric to make a folded side pocket that will accept a 1 liter water bottle or two 1 liter platys in each pocket. After you fold and sew the draw string for this pocket over it will be 13 inches tall. When sewing the side pocket to the side sew each side of the pocket fold in the pocket 2 inches in on each side . Then pin to the side panel and sew to pack sides, Then trim away excess fabric to the shape of the contoured pack side panel.

I made my pack 10,5 inches wide but you can decide the width you want your pack. I always use a 1/2 inch margin then for sewing then cut it down to 3/8 inch after i sew it to cut some weight off.
    Have fun sewing,
    Terry

Photos:
    Front:
    roll top front

Side:
    rolltopside

Rockywoods 420 nylon ripstop fabric link:
    http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/All-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabrics/Ripstop-Packcloth-Nylon

Alex W

@alexw89

looks really good :)

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Thumbs up Terry, nice looking pack! I really like the jam style front pocket.

Kyle Grzelak

@buckleupitsgriz

Looks great.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Thank you very much guys for the Great complements. I had ordered the fabric a while ago just found it in my fabric pile. So I thought let make a new roll top pack project.
    Thanks again,
    Terry

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

I decided to add some ruff drawing of the patterns I used for this pack. I used a flexible ruler to dry the side profile.
    The pattern for the Jam style pocket show what shape it needs to be to get the contoured shape the line trough the upper half you cut in half sew the zipper. At it wide point it is 15 inches wide and it also is 16 inches tall .

The side pocket pattern show how long and wide you need to make the fabric to make a folded side pocket that will accept a 1 liter water bottle or two 1 liter platys in each pocket. After you fold and sew the draw string for this pocket over it will be 13 inches tall. When sewing the side pocket to the side sew each side of the pocket fold in the pocket 2 inches in on each side . Then pin to the side panel and sew to pack sides, Then trim away excess fabric to the shape of the contoured pack side panel.

I made my pack 10,5 inches wide but you can decide the width you want your pack. I always use a 1/2 inch margin then for sewing then cut it down to 3/8 inch after i sew it to cut some weight off.
    Have fun sewing,
    Terry

Side pattern:
    side pattern

Jam style pocket:
    jam style pocket

Side pocket:
    water bottle side pocket

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools