Topic

Do you have a nested cookset?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do you have a nested cookset?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    E.L. Boston

@el_jefe

Locale: The Pacific Northwest

Does your cookset nest inside itself? Let's see it!

My current solo cookset is very lightweight, but it's pretty clunky. I've decided I'd like to streamline my setup a bit, and I'd like to see (or at least read) what everybody else is using…

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have a few different set ups. Most of them nest, but on my current set up, my alcohol bottle has to go outside. My alky stove and lighter fits inside all of them though. I have made a separate reflectic cozy that fits around my pot and holds it all together with velcro patches. Sorry, no pics handy.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Evernew .6, SP litemax + sack, zpacks sack, mini bic, mini canister.

I have a ti longhandled spoon that I put in my food bag.

Total weight with spoon and empty fuel canister:

9.72oz

jgnvdfcvdf

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

SnowPeak Ti Mini Solo
    The cup nests on the bottom of the pot.
    The nested pot can hold my stove, lighter, gas can, and pack cloth.
    You can also fit two gas cans inside the pot on longer trips (and pack the stove elsewhere).

Nested cookset

contents of cookset

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I use a Snow Peak Trek 700 to boil water. Inside it goes a lighter, 12-10 stove, towel, snow peak 450 mug, and two-piece caldera cone "fusion". Here's a few pics:

the whole thing:

whole kit

contents:

contents

set up w/o 450:

cone and 700

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I try to nest a water bottle in my pot. In my snowpeak solo ti and I can get a nalgene in there but not a gatorade bottle. I am still trying to find a lighter bottle that will fit in it.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Yes, indeed. I like nested kits, and the general concept that one can grab a single "item" and have a turnkey system in hand. Two of my set ups are nested kits:

Crux with HE pot and windscreen

second photo pending
    Optimus Weekender HE pots, containing 220g fuel canister, Optimus Crux stove, mini-bic, mini wind-screen, folding stir spoon.

Fire Maple setup with wind screen

Fire Maple setup packed
    Fire Maple HK6 pot, containing 220g fuel canister, Fire Maple 117t stove, mini bic, windscreen.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Elliot,

Its a rather long thread but you'll see how my ultralight weight "nested cook set" looks and what it weighs.

Here is a view from the top.

Cookset

One caveat, if you are brave enough to read through the entire thread you may notice a comment that I made abut being able to light my stove from the side. It only works that way if the stove is already warm and being used for a second time. A dribble of fuel onto the wick may let me light from the side on a cold start up but I haven't tried that as of yet.

The picture above shows a modified (lightened) MSR pot lifter nested inside of my stove. I added a wire bail to my cook pot and no longer carry the MSR pot lifter.

1 cup cook pot with eyelets and bail

BTW, yes, I am a dedicated alcohol "stovie". ;-)

If I carry my 2 cup Foster's pot…

2 cup cook pot with eyelets and bail

…I can even get the fuel bottle nested inside due to the added height.

Party On,

Newton

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

done

John Ebner

@jebner

Locale: Big Thicket

This is my solo setup. It's good for a weekend. Anything longer and I have to carry a bigger fuel bottle.

SP 600 w/myog lid, Gram Weenie Pro, 2oz fuel bottle, myog insulated cup, windscreen, mesh bag, folding ti spork, primer pan, measuring cap, mini bic, small bandana

Total weight: 7.16oz (203g)

cookset

cookset

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Here is mine:

Cooking compact

Cooking expanded

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my solo setup, ti esbit wing stove, SP 450 w/ custom lid, ti spork, ti foil ground protector, ti windscreen (can also be used w/ twigs w/ the addition of two stakes), mini bic w/ birthday candles, Esbit

Photobucket

5.7 oz including fuel for 3 days :)

Photobucket

Andrew Weldon
    BPL Member

@hypnolobster

I've been using this for a little while now and I'm extremely happy with it. Super inexpensive as well. I had to buy a bit of Ti foil, a Zelph pot and that was all.

l
    a
    o

Ti foil tray stove I bent up, Zelph fosters pot, small piece of lightload towel, hardware cloth pot stand, mini bic, plastic bag to keep the esbit stuff off the pot, and an alphalight spoon.

I made a little video a while ago, too.

YouTube video

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools