Topic

unltralite knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 126 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Well done Bob!

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Hi Bob. Had a look at the pic in the MYOG section. Really like the look of it! In the end, how did you secure the fire steel? By friction? Or did you find another way?

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I got a nut and bolt for holding one chainring to another on a bike, on a set of triple chainrings. It is a tubular nut and bolt, with a passage in the center. I got 3 pairs for $0.25 at our bike co-op. So they are threaded together, and the outer one is the male one and screws out, and the firesteel is attached to it. The female section is in the handle of the knife. There is enough friction on the threads that it doesn't come loose by accident, but you can get it out by fingers. I'll post a picture of the firesteel insert with the knife over the weekend.
    ultralight knife

Rick Sutton
    BPL Member

@rickcsutton

Locale: Midwest

Over the years, I have found the only need I ever have for a knife while backpacking is to cut open a food package of some sorts or cut some cord. I have worked my way down from a 0.7 oz "Classic" Swiss Army knife to a 0.3 oz Derma Safe knife to a 0.1 oz single edge razor in a homemade cardboard sheath (courtesy of Mike Clelland's UL Backpacking TIps book).

Recently, I found this knife @ Trail Designs. It is retractable, you can get replacement blades for it, and it costs only $2.49. While I understand and respect the fact each of us have different wants and wishes from a knife, this might be the lightest simple stand alone knife out there @ 2.38 grams for those who don't need anything more that what this can do. I also like the fact it is a bit safer than just a razor blade while still lighter.

Trail Design UL knife

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

"Title Gore"

Bwaa haa

That made my day

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

Rand sent me one of those. They are indeed very light, maybe the lightest.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Just got mine in the mail too. Just need to get some scissors and tweezers for my FAK. I have a broken SAK Classic I can use to get the scissors from but I'll need to do some research on some UL tweezers. I may not end up with something lighter than my Classic but I've always thought those tweezers were useless and dead weight anyways. This will leave me with something that functions better.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

Not sure if they fall into the SUL range but I have the Adventure Medical Splinter/Tick Remover, works fantastic for splinters and presumably ticks. Weight comes in a 4grams.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

I'll bet you could remove that heavy white part.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Mini utility knife blade.

Comes with pre drilled lightening holes.

I sharpen mine on a fine stone.

Ace Hardware

.6 gramsminiutility knife

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The TD key/knife/razor/thingy doesn't leave me optimistic at this point that it'll become a lasting part of my kit. The blade is pretty dull out of the box. I'll run it over some polishing tape later this week to see if I can sharpen it up some. It was pretty stubborn the other day and a bit of a pill to fully retract it. We'll see if that improves or worsens over time.

David,

Did you have to pay extra to get the XSUL blades with the lightening holes?

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

I had to buy the whole knife just to get the blade. It was on sale for 50 cents. They do have packets of blades tho f
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1339933 $27

or http://www.amazon.com/Cd-10-Knife-Blade-23301A/dp/B000H5SMTY $2.79 + $4.43 shipping

I am wondering if I should cut the blade in half to save weight?

Viewing 12 posts - 126 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools