Topic

Any socks of comparable quality to Darn Tough but lighter in weight?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any socks of comparable quality to Darn Tough but lighter in weight?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Scott Simcox
    Spectator

@simco

Locale: Nashville

I really like my Darn Toughs, but they're 68 grams. How am I supposed to hike with all that weight forcing me to the ground?!?
    Has anyone been able to put hundreds (or thousands) of miles on a pair of socks that are a little bit lighter?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

well, DTV have a huge range of weights, so you need to be a shade more specific.

I have used the really padded Full Boot Socks in the past, but the ankle comes up a bit high and that can create a bit of a heat rash there. So I bought some of the new crew version, but missed that they are only 'really padded' at the bottom. The top surface is thinner. They lasted quite nicely for 2 months continuous walking in Europe this summer, and will be used for many more walks.

Mind you, the Full Boot Socks also last me for years.

Cheers

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

REI used to carry blue polypro liner socks that wore like iron, but last I checked, they don't have them anymore.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Defeet Wooleators are more durable and lighter than the thinner DTs.

Scott Simcox
    Spectator

@simco

Locale: Nashville

Thanks for the heads up on DeFeet.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

This DeFeet sock is also very nice. My favorite of the four or five brands I've tried. Probably not any lighter than the sock you mentioned. I haven't tried the Darn Toughs but would like to.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

You have two options:

Darn Tough Socks or WigWam socks

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Dahlgren

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

which ones do you have?

they make padded and non-padded ones (Mesh)- the Mesh are lighter and more breathable, but lack the padding- they also offer micro crew, 1/4 length and no-show- each a little lighter than the former

I've been using the Mesh 1/4's of late for trail running, longevity is good, but not as good as the padded; but then again they have a lifetime warranty :)

Say Raow

@lordrasov

+1 defeet wooleators

I've alternated two pairs for ~3000 miles over 3 years, and there is only one small hole on one of the socks.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Any thin polyester running socks do fine. I use defeet wool-e-ators and various running socks, I dont prefer one over the other at all, they are interchangeable. Polyester dries quicker though.

3 things important in a sock, IMO:

1) Cuff. Need to cover ankles to protect from scraping from the other foot when walking in narrow & deep trail treads. Dont sacrifice 0.25 oz here to have a lighter sock.

2) roomy toes. Narrow socks that squeeze the toes together make the piggies uncomfortable after many miles.

3) keep them clean. Dirt permeates trail runners and socks and starts abrading the foot after only a day or two.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools