Topic

10-20F Clothing List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 10-20F Clothing List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

This is my plan gear list for 10-20F Sierra. Please help me to be reasonable and to go lighter.

Clothing
    Marmot Precip
    Golite Roan Plateau 800
    REI 200 Fleece
    REI Midweight base layer long-sleeve
    CloudVeil Softshell pants
    REI Lightweight base layer pants
    Wigwam socks
    Seal Skinz socks (sleeping only)
    Patagonia Cap 4 (sleeping only)
    Glove Liner
    OR PL 400
    Waterproof Mittens
    Polar Fleece Balaclava
    Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon Beanie
    OR Mtn Gaiters

Sleeping
    GG 3/8 Pad
    ThermaRest Prolite Plus
    JRB Hudson River 20F
    Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme (helps with cold spots)

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I'd prefer wool over Seal Skinz for sleeping so that my feet can dry out.

Are you using a hammock? Your system seems about right for a hammock, but I think you need more insulation underneath in that case.

If you're sleeping on the ground, I think you could drop the Cap 4. But, in the winter, it's always better to have too much clothing than not enough.

One pair of wigwam socks seems inadequate. Also, what about a waterproof layer for the footwear?

Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

I'll be sleeping on the floor.

I have trail runners, and I was thinking about putting on sealskinz as an extra layer if I have to.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I would take a windshirt.
    If it really is below 25, snow will be dry enough to slide off a smooth windshirt and you might be able to leave the rainjacket at home. If you are out on a longer trip or the weather looks like it might be damp, bring both the rain and windshell.

Scenario:
    20F, headwind, sunny:
    If you hike in your base plus fleece you still freeze in front from the wind, yet you boil in the back.
    If you hike in your base plus rain jacket you sweat to much, leaving you chilled later.
    If you hike in your base plus windshirt you stay comfy in the front, and only sweat under your pack.

With synthetic base layers and a windshirt, I would leave the sleap shirt behind, you can always sleep in your fleece if your baselayer is damp.

What about sunglasses?

So you are hiking in just trail runners and sealskins? No gaiters?

I find a windstoipper hat like the Dome to warm to hike in anything but the coldest and windiest weahter, also it's annoying because it muffles sound. With that in mind, are you comfortable hiking in the balaclava when it's warmer than about 15F?

I would second the wool socks for sleeping over the sealskinz, you want to give your feet time to dry out sometime in the 24hrs.

Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

Thank you for the advise on the windshirt. Which one do you recommend? (besides a houdini)

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

It seems like this windshirt could work really well in sierra winter conditions, which can be fairly wet. I have no experience with it, was just chcking it out recently.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=61&p_id=2306422

I'd love to hear more from folks on their winter Sierra set-ups. The temps can vary widely (i.e, it can get warm) and it can get melty and wet. Its hard to imagine not having a shell, but I don't have any experience with snow camping/ carrying more than a daypack.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I did not mean to suggest leaving a hardshell behind unless you are only out for a short time and know it will not be above freezing.

As far as which windshirt… I am partial to one with a hood. Just got a Stoic one, light and cheap and fits great for tall slim people. Montbell Tachyon is also light and cheap, other than that you can check out the STOTM report for an intro on a few different ones as well as their use.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2012_windshirts_sotmr_part1.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools