Topic

Sewing Machine broke last night…this looks interesting for a replacement:

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing Machine broke last night…this looks interesting for a replacement:

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/atq/3214772036.html

…I'm waiting to hear back about the model for this, but I know it has been sitting in a box unserviced for the past 8 years.

I'm not sure what to offer for a price, so I thought I'd ask on here as I'm a novice when it comes to sewing machines…I just need a long straight stitch, bar tack and on rare occasions (but could easily live without) a zigzag stitch.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Keep hitting the thrift stores. I have never paid more than $35. And my last find for $25 looks like brand new. Don't rush, look around.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Good luck. I'm sure you will find something soon. Let us know what you find! Any machine that has a bar tack function should have a zig zag stitch. You may have better luck just looking for a straight stitch and zig zag combo. No bar tack. You can make them yourself. It is just a zigzag stitch over a straight stitch.

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

I'm sorry, but $200 for that POS?! What's goin' on in Lincoln? Something in the water? When it comes to Singers, the only models you should be looking for are:

– 66/99
    – 15-91
    – 201
    – 301
    – 401-404
    – 237

I browsed around your local CL, and came across this ad for a 404 & 501 (really, a 401 with a Rockateer shell):

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/fuo/3172749715.html

While it is true that these can be had for $25 if you're patient, $50 ain't bad, especially if you're in a pinch. I would run, not walk, if those machines are still available. Start @ $25.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

The 500 series is very very similar to the 400 series. They are very good too.

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Thanks a lot. I heard back from the seller that it was the 478 that is for $200 obo.

I wasn't looking to spend anywhere near $200 on a machine unless it was a commercial one and even then it's a big stretch for me…I would have probably offered $100 or less and hoped for the best but I'm going to hold off now and I've contacted the seller of the other two. Tons of useful information (listing models was more than I could have asked for) and thanks everyone!

I'll be sure to post back once I get a new machine or if I run into a machine that I'm unsure of.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools