Topic

msr snowshoes — evo vs lightning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking msr snowshoes — evo vs lightning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

So I just read "Allen and Mike's really cool backcountry ski book" which has a lot of tips about winter camping but not too much specifics. And…he doesn't really talk about snowshoeing or hiking with shoes.

So…I wouldn't mind taking advantage of the rei sale, but when do you decide to take snowshoes vs just boots with like a yaktrax traction slip on? Is basically the only determining factor how much snow is on the ground?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

snowshoes – deep soft snow that your feet sink into. When they sink in a foot or more it gets really difficult.

traction devices – hard slippery icy. Without them you slip and land on your butt.

Conditions can change in a short amount of time. Sun comes out and makes snow soft so you start sinking in. Sun sets and it all of a sudden gets slippery. You can walk in with just shoes, no problem, then conditions can change and it gets difficult to walk back out without snowshoes or traction devices.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

So…do most non skiers bring both crampons and snowshoes on a trip since they might not know what kind of conditions they'll see (ice/no ice, deep snow, etc)?

Right now REI has the ->

MSR lightning ascents for $220 or so
    MSR Revo Explore $150 (25% on sale)
    MSR Evo $105 (25% on sale)

I usually do a TON of research before purchases…but with so many other winter gear things I need to buy (overboots, mitten, overmitts, down pants, snow shovel, etc) I'm just not feeling spending hours and hours on research. Which is why I think going the REI route is probably going to be best for right now this season…

So, I'm starting out with easy winter hikes in locations I've already been during the summer months to ease into winter camping. I don't think I need more "extreme" snowshoes like the lightning ascents, though I don't really know the difference between the revo's vs evo's….

I also already have a pair of yaktrax shown here that I use for clearing my driveway (Boise, Idaho) ->
    http://goo.gl/A2bzSA

Should I just use those till I decide I need something like the Kahtoola MICROspikes or full on crampons?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I'm not that much into snowshoes. I avoid deep snow, unless it's well consolidated spring snow you can walk over the top of.

I have Yaktrax. They have this rubber band on the bottom. I used them on snow with some rocks. Rocks nicked rubber and it broke. Yaktrax good if it's just snow and ice without any rocks. Or good for shoveling off your driveway. But I usually encounter some rocks also.

I got Kahtoola – better. I'll just carry them, and if needed put them on, take them off when no longer needed. (Did the same with the Yaktrax until they broke).

I put Kahtoola in gallon ziploc bag to keep dirt and water away from other gear. Have to be careful bag doesn't get poked.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Yaktrax (the spiral wire version) do not work on hard ice, and the rubber frames are too fragile to depend upon in the backcountry.

Kahtoola microspikes are much better.

On steep ice front points are very handy.

On some very hard "bulletproof" ice you can have a hard time even with freshly sharpened, full-on crampons.

Travis B.
    Spectator

@dispatchesfromthenorth

For what it's worth I've been using the MSR Evo's for 3 years now and they've worked well for me. They are affordable and I haven't found their limit yet. Sure, they could be lighter, but the traction is great and the flotation is adequate for my needs.

If you need traction devices, I would definitely go with the micro-spikes. The Yak-Trax will fall apart on you pretty quickly with frequent use. And you don't need crampons unless you are getting into mountaineering.

Whether you use the snowshoes or microspikes depends a lot on your local trail conditions. If it's a trail that gets used often it will usually be hard packed – this is where the microspikes will shine. For any deep snow or if you plan on going off trail or breaking trail, the snowshoes will be necessary. Generally, I will take both with me and decide at the trail head. Carrying snowshoes on your pack sucks, especially if you don't end up using them. But sometimes you need to.

We are heading out on a hike right now, and I'll be taking both. I'll be wearing the microspikes on the trail up to the alpine. But I know that once we get up on the alpine we'll be breaking trail and we'll be travelling on the north side of the mountain that gets a predominately southern wind, meaning that it's unlikely the snow will be hard packed and therefore, snowshoes will be necessary.

Good luck with the search…

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Ok, thank you for your comments.

It sounds like I'll use my 20% REI coupon and get the microspikes.

And….I'll go ahead and get snowshoes…I can always try them for a trip and take them back if they are not what I'm looking for.

Most likely I'll get the evos……around $105. But, there is a sierra trading post 1.5 miles from my house…and they have a selection of snowshoes with a lifetime return policy….and right now there is a 40% off coupon for everything in the store. ->

http://goo.gl/vKi9c

Mostly they have komperdells, tubbs, redfeather, Yukon charlies, etc.

Price would be comparable with the evo, but I am not versed in snowshoe company quality, so don't know if there is a good steal here to be had?

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Last night was the end of the REI sale….and it was 11:30 and the sale was just about over so I couldn't decide which ones to buy, so I bought 3 of them. They are all 3 backordered so I can call and cancel some without any issue.

I bought ->
    22" Evo Snowshoes – $105 – I would have been fine with these except I realized that they were not the Evo Ascents so they don't have televators…which no matter where I hike here in Idaho there is always uphill ascents.

25" Revo Explore – $150 – Then, I realized they are not making the evo ascents anymore and have replaced them with the Revo series. The revo series basically is a combination of the Evo and Lightning series where there is a flat metal edge combined with a plastic deck. The one thing I'm not sure is a real pro or not is that the buckles on these use ratchets and there is only one on the front, so not sure how secure these will fit.

25" Revo Ascent – $180 – Basically seems just like slightly beefier version of the revo explore, and it has 3 straps across the foot instead of the 1 of the revo explore. Not sure if they are worth it or not over the explores….

Anyway, any comments about the new Revo series snowshoes? These are new and I did a BPL search and didn't find anything.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools