Topic

BatCave – TentBivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear BatCave – TentBivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Pushing this idea a bit further.

The thought is to have a area just big enough to sit in and heat water, that you can stick you legs out of into a bivy for just you legs … and have it bug proof.

Keep in mind the leg area would lay loose not stiff like it is in the model but the tarp would be staked at the hips so it would be taught at your side like it shows.

Netting around bottom and up to arched tarp edges

An all cuben design.

The only concern is getting airflow for moisture.

BC1

BC2

BC#

BC4

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

This reminds me of the "Pocket Hotel" by Early Winters.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Exactly what I have in mind but think around 7 ounces total weight.

Stephen Burgess
    Spectator

@williswall

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I too have thought about this type of design, but the reality is that when I experimented with it the complications and weight savings diminished it's value. Your design has the pole straight up, which greatly reduces it's utility…I'd want to be able to sit up to change clothes, etc. Now you're dealing with offsetting the pole or using two poles to free up the room. I have been using a 10 oz similar shelter this year but it's only for sleeping (I wrote an article under "multiuse gear" earlier). Once you get into the 10 oz range and beyond then a cuben tent like a ZPacks starts to make more sense. I found that trying to stake out a slanted pole (to create interior room) became such a complicated hassle that I pitched that idea and ended up with using a flexible delrin rod instead to keep fabric off my face.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58916&skip_to_post=502989#502989

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Stephen – Your input is much appreciated.

I had two poles in mind to free up the center as I hike with poles.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

If you want the modularity to be able to separate the bivy that's one thing, but I don't know what this saves in function or weight over just making a ShangriLa/Mid style shelter out of cuben.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=39259

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

I am trying to do two things

1) come up with an enclosed shelter that is the lightest possible usable space.

2) make use of scrap material

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Your design is moving closer to an old one, the Bivvy Bug Niche.

[this is an observation, not criticism…]

I do like the SketchUp models.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

If you use walking poles, then they can obviously be used to support the shelter. Some other examples can be found here.

The crossed poles idea I've thought of using means that they sort of self-supporting, i.e. they don't need some other means to hold them apart.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

This image made me rethink everything … LOL!

I can only imagine what my hiking buddies would do to me at night if I was in this : )

dud

I think I am going the hexamid rout!

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

> This image made me rethink everything … LOL!

Ah, you found R_Mac's blog, then…

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

I am going this direction now : )

I know there nothing new to these but it's fun to morph designs together.

I like the idea of offsetting the poles and having guy lines squared off them for stability.

The thought was to have small pockets on the floor for the hiking pole handles to sit in and a plastic pyramid cup at the top for the pole tips to sit in.

SG1

SG2

SG3

SG4

SG5

SG6

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It is starting to look like an SMD Gatewood or Wild Oasis– what I call a "stealth fighter" look. I think it is natural design progression when trying to surround a human body outline and have one peak.

Keep thinkin' and tweakin' and thanks for sharing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools