Topic

Backpack frame used for grill?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Backpack frame used for grill?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I got to thinking….[danger Will Robinson! Danger!] how about making a backpack internal frame that could also be used as a grill? A fabric or foam sleeve would help to keep things clean.

Tanner M

@tan68

My first thought was that the thing would be a mess. You would slip it in a sleeve to take care of that.

I saw you got no reply. In case you check back, I think you got no reply because many people here would not carry grills. I think.

If they do carry a grill, it might be too small to serve as a frame for a backpack. I can imagine some little +/- 7" inch square grill area with wire to bridge the remainder of the distance across the fire… This is the only thing I can imagine..

If the backpack has a frame, it is unlikely to be shaped for grilling. Some light packs that do have a frame just have a stay or two. It could, maybe, be used to skewer through something… many light packs just use plastic or foam as the frame.

Since these light, flexible materials are satisfactory for light packs, I think a grill against your back (even wrapped in some foam) might be uncomfortable or make it a little harder to move. If I remember right, even external frame packs have straps/bands that suspend the frame from contact with the person. The light frames in light packs do flex or give a bit, I think. Maybe. Unless the pack is stuffed tight like a brick.

Even many heavy packs don't have frames that would be suitable for grilling.. They still use the plastic sheet and toss in a aluminum stay or two.

I suppose the idea could be implemented. It might have value only for people that already do carry a grill. I doubt it will be attractive enough to others that do not currently carry a grill so they think 'hey, now I can carry the grill I would like to have'. I suspect sliding the grill in the sleeve might serve more as a unique place to store it than as a pack frame itself.

Aaron Ledbetter
    BPL Member

@l3db3tt3r

Locale: PNW

For those U or V frame packs you could drill holes and use removable skewers or tent stakes.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I could grill a side of beef on the frame from my Kelty! Vegan, free-range beef, of course.

I wouldn't want to use a frame for a grill because the frame will erode and or vary the temper from exposure to flame. In the case of aluminum stays, they could either soften and deform or, depending on the alloy, simply harden and then crack in use. I guess a titanium frameset might work for a grill, but that would weigh more than the aluminum Kelty…

I'll just stick to my beryllium skillet.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I'll just stick to my beryllium skillet."

I would be concerned about beryllium toxicity. On the other hand, in the multiple-use category it makes an excellent neutron reflector.

–B.G.–

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Good grief, Bob: when a man pays as much as I did for a berrylium skillet, he uses plastic utensils on it. I have the dutch oven on order.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools