Topic

CCF Cozy – good enough?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear CCF Cozy – good enough?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

So I destroyed my reflectix cozy on my last trip and forgot until today. I went around to all the hardware stores and couldn't find reflectix anywhere. So, I decided to make a cozy out of some scrap 1/8" CCF, duct tape, and a mailing envelope. A picture is below. The question I have is do you think the CCF would do a good enough job on its own without using the bubble mailing envelope?

cozy

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Yes, the CCF will work fine. I've done the same, prior to switching to washed Mtn House food bags – way lighter and more compact.

I can't tell…does your cozy close to "seal in" the heat? If not, I suggest modifying it accordingly as it makes a difference.

Todd

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

It does fold over to seal – can't really tell from the picture. I also created a foil envelope to sit inside it instead of using the bubble wrap. Everything weighs an ounce. Not the lightest but it will work.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Choose your cozy material according to how much insulation you need.

As a slow learner, I burned my mouth too often on hot food, until I realized I didn't need such thick insulation (reflectix, 3/8 foam). For my FBC (freezer bag cooking), I'm mostly cooking small pastas, so I'm just using cut down insulated mailing envelopes. The larger the mailer, the larger the bubble size of the insulation in it.

I've still got reflectrix for my wide pot cozy and pot lid for canister use in the winter. I'm trying to avoid the weight and the escaping glue on duct tape.

Flat mailers for FBC are not as efficient as a cylindrical cozy on a beer can pot. Again, choose your cozy material to match what you need, since thicker is heavier so it is not always better. I hope you learn from my mistakes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools