Topic

Down Jacket Shoot-out: GoLite Bitterroot vs. Rab Infinity

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Down Jacket Shoot-out: GoLite Bitterroot vs. Rab Infinity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    David Ure

@familyguy

Great review. I have never been especially taken with Rab's quality and fit and finish of their products.

"The Bitterroot now retails for $199 – an excellent value and a significant savings over the Infinity. With this new pricing, it’s harder to make a compelling argument that justifies spending the extra $100 on the Infinity."

Indeed.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

GoLite's pricing has been all over the board. I see that the Bitterroot is listed at $199 but is out of stock. I'm curious whether they will jack up the price just as it becomes available again this autumn, just as they did with a lot of skus over the summer.

I compared the two models last winter. I couldn't get past the sloppy casual fit of the Bitterroot – I felt it was more suited to the outdoor shopping mall on Pearl Street here in Boulder than up on the trail. I picked up an Infinity which fit me much better and has more thoughtful design features as mentioned in the article.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Nice article. You might want to check the math in the down weight / total weight ratios.

For the woman's Bitterroot it should be in the low 40's, either 4.9/12.0 = 40.8% or 140/340 = 41.2%.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Casey – Good eye! I sent in a request to make the correction on the ratio. Not sure how I came up with that low number, probably just a typo.

Also, I should thank our friend Eirik (pictured below) for photographing us. He took us to some excellent testing grounds in Norway.

Our Norwegian Testing Grounds

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

A slight tangent but all of my Rab clothing comes in substantially lighter on my scales than the listed weights on Rab's website. Weird, but always a pleasant surprise.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

nice to see these reviewed. i lokked at them a while ago (and others) and opted for a custom one from Ben@goosefeet

Although this is NOT a state of the market -IMO could be useful to add a comp table with comparable other pieces (eg Montane Northstar, WM meltdown, etc

Mike

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Thanks guys for the quality side by side comparison in this review.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

If you are interested in a similar jacket for comparison, check out the Western Mountaineering Hooded Flash Jacket.

Hooded Flash Jacket

RETAIL Price $280

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

I wouldn't call the Hooded Flash a comparable jacket. It only has 3oz fill weight, which is less than half that of the Rab and just about half of the Bitterroot. So they most certainly would not share the same warmth. The Rab Infinity and GoLite Bitterroot fit the category of down jackets above the down sweater category but below a full parka caliber jacket.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

One that does come in similar would be the new MHW Phantom Hooded jacket.

17oz/481g total weight, 6.3 oz/180g fill weight. Features are similar too.

Unfortunately, they are using a 20d fabric on this, rather than their new 7d that they use on the Ghost Whisperer, thus pushing the total weight up a fair bit above the two reviewed.

Another contender would be the Mont Bell Mirage at almost the same weight and fill weight as the Golite, but with 900fp down and full baffles. (Thanks nicktruax)

Similar to that would be the Shaka Plus, at even less weight, but no full zip and far fewer other features.

I would love one with the interior pockets of the Golite/MHW, trimmer fit than either, high collar and regular zipper of the RAB, and a lightweight fabric. For the price of the Golite.

One can dream right?

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Rab-Women-s-Infinity-Jacket_10170660_10208_10000001_-1_

This is appears to be an older version with Synchro fabric, for a total weight of 14 oz.

jeff berkman
    BPL Member

@jberkman

the golite website now shows M's Bitterroot 850 Fill Down Jacket back in stock. Price is the same at $199. Specs looks the same too.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel
    Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

Michael – that Berghaus should be an interesting product once it hits the market, for sure – mostly because of the cut, the technique chosen for main baffling, and the use of hydrophobic down. I do question how efficient the offset style of baffling is compared to the box-stitch method, but it is easy enough to see that it is more thermally efficient compared stitch-through. Given the overall weight and fill weight, it's an obvious competitor to the Rab Infinity, but the quoted price would leave it quite a bit more expensive (300GBP is about 460US$) – but assuming hydrobphobic down truly is the holy grail of insulation, then that cost might be worth it.

Back to the infinity vs. bitterroot discussion – I've already voiced my preference in earlier threads, but it's probably worth repeating here: in my experience, the hood in the bitterroot was major disappointment – just too big and unwieldy considering that it is nonadjustable (although it might be better for taller folks). Also, for my body-type, the rab was a better, more technical fit. Both jackets are very well made – great materials and construction for each.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

MEC Light Degree Hoodie:
    6.5 oz of down, but only 800fp, for total weight of 15 oz, giving a 43% down ratio.
    If you adjust for the difference in fillpower, it's still over 40%.

The hood looks better than the Golite too, and it has a fleece chinguard and large internal pockets.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

I jsut checked out an Infinity at my local shop today and that thing is stuffed to the gills! For 7 oz of down or so the baffles are quite small. When you feel the down in there, it's almost like a down pillow, it is really firm.

The arms are nice and long, the collar is nice and tall the shoulders and arms are trim, but the bottom of the torso is still to baggy and it's quite short.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

I would echo the earlier comment "in my experience, the hood in the bitterroot was major disappointment – just too big and unwieldy considering that it is nonadjustable"

I was in the GoLite store today and tried it on and the fit of hood and around the neck is just way too loose. I have never understood having helmet compatable hoods without the ability to adjust. Basically this jacket will work with a helmet but not without which for me is worthless.

Daniel Serrano

@dserrano77

I've had an Infinity endurance (the Pertex DWR version) for a year now, and have to say that the biggest downside is what I consider the excessive internal volume of the jacket (as noted in this review).

What I was looking for at the time was something in the 1# total weight with 7+oz fill weight category that was baffled and had an adjustable hood and didn't break the bank. I couldn't find anything that fit the bill and the Infinity came closest.

Setting aside the issue of water resistant down, I believe this is now the closest thing to my desired specs:

https://brooks-range.com/Mojave-Down-Jacket.html

With 9 oz of 800+ fill, total weight of 1#, baffled front (stitch-through elsewhere), and adjustable hood — I'm thinking of ditching the infinity and moving to this.

Would love to see a comparison of the Bitterrot,Infinity and Mojave.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools