Topic

Pack for small trips/travel/biking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack for small trips/travel/biking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Quinn

@pq

Greetings,

I'm in the market for a new pack that I would like to meet the following needs:
    1) Something that I could use for 2-3 day hikes,
    2) Something I could use for vacations when I only bring carry-on
    3) works for bike commutes and adventure walks/runs to the grocery store

I may be asking for too much with all these parameters but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pat

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Something like HMG's Windrider might do the trick. I have a Windrider, and though it's starting to show some wear and tear, it's held up well for around 18 months of near-daily use commuting. It's expensive, but it's also rain proof. HMG has a larger pack now also I think, but for 2-3 days the larger option might be overkill.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

A small zpacks zero, add options if you use a hydration bladder etc. ~ 6oz

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

Gossamer Gear Rik Sak is 15 liters and just over 2 ounces.
    Just basically a big stuff sack with padded shoulder straps, and is about $30.
    Excellent for a very light pack if you don't need more than 15 liters.

Patrick Quinn

@pq

If I was looking for something a little more robust that would have some pockets, including a bottle/thermos holder and could carry a laptop and books safely, would you have any different suggestions?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Pat

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Goruck Gr1

Especially if you want to carry laptop, books, etc and want something useful for travel.

Main disadvantage is no water bottle pocket, pricey, and not ultralight.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mountain Hardwear and North Face are the brands that come to mind. It is the laptop that sways your choices I think. I would take the laptop to a big store and wade through the choices for fit and features. Timbuk2 has some backpacks, but all the ones I have seen were weak on carrying water on the outside, away from electronics inside.

I like a messenger style bag for urban/travel use. They are easier to manage in crowds, doorways, planes and mass transit. Osprey makes some good ones.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

If you are open to messenger bags, bailey bags are absolutely bulletproof and waterproof. Going on year 8 with mine. It also has attachment points for a Y strap for more stabilization when hiking, but it fits so well i have never used one.

http://www.baileyworks.com/

James McBryan

@jamesprepatrip

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have a GoLite Jam pack, I love it and use it for every single use case you just described.

There's all the new backpack / pannier coming up from SlingFin:

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I like Rakesh's suggestion of an HMG pack. The Summit pack is a little smaller, but a much cleaner design.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

I bought my Osprey Talon 33 to serve the exact same multi-purposes you mention. I LOVE it.

It is the perfect size for groceries, hugs your back while biking (in fact I chose it from a review website for mountain bike packs), and for weekend backpacking trips it can even hold a bear can.

Have run with it. It's larger than what I need/use for a 4-12 hour adventure race. Always awkward to run with a pack this big (33 liters) no matter how well made, IMO. At least it compresses and hugs the back well. Have run to the grocery store and walked back. If you do a lot of running/adventure racing, might want to go with a ~22 liter size – but then it won't be big enough to do a backpacking trip with. I also think 22L wouldn't be nearly enough space for a usual grocery trip.

I did cut off about 6 oz. of unneeded loops, straps, etc. to lighten it up.

– Elizabeth

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

The Talon 33 meets your carry-on requirements as well. I have never been challenged entering the plane with it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools