Topic

Deciding on the amount of overfill (Katabatic Sawatch)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Deciding on the amount of overfill (Katabatic Sawatch)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I'm a very cold sleeper, and, after quite a bit of experimentation) I've concluded that my Katabatic Palisade 30 deg will not take me through all three seasons, which is acceptable to around 40 deg (with down jacket and pants). So, I'm thinking about ordering a wide Sawatch 15 deg bag. The goal is to be warm down to 20 deg (with down jacket and pants). If I pull the trigger on this new quilt, I'd probably order it with some overfill. It is possible to order up to 5oz extra. I imagine that excessive overfill would be counter-productive. I'm wondering if anyone out there ordered this quilt with overfill. If so, how much did you add?

Thanks,

rhz

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I would call Aaron at Katabatic. He will be the best person to answer your question

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

+1 to Randy's response.

If you sleep 10-15º cold in one bag, you can guestimate the same in this cold weather bag.

Also note that, at those temperatures, many prefer the secure warmth of bags, rather than quilts, as drafts can have more severe consequences.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

RHZ,

I am a cold sleeper too and I have found that adding 2-3 oz of weight for down sleeping socks from Goosefeet has really helped alot.

Perhaps as a process of elimination, you could spend a night out in the cold (winter time in your backyard???) sleeping out with some extra layers of socks on your feet and see if that really helps you warm up….if so, get some down socks.

Rather than a more expensive quilt to cover all of you, you might want to target select parts of your body.

Head and feet are the top two that I would think of.

I switched out my fleece beanie to an Intregal Designs Insulated Beanie and found it much warmer, which helped with the overall experience of staying warm at night.

Also, have you looked at your sleeping pad to see if you have enough insulation there?

I have been using a rediculously thin sleeping pad, which also has contributed to getting chilled….thinking of moving up to 1/4" foam vs. 1/8".

Anyway, just some less expensive options to look at before you drop the big bucks on what are great quilts.

-Tony

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Yeah, I think I'll call Aaron.

As for targeting my feet or my head, remarkably, my feet are never cold (I use thick smartwool hiking socks for sleeping). My head also seems OK (after using the hood on my WM flash and a thin merino balaclava). It's primarily the area south of my head and north of my knees that gets cold–even with light thermals and down jacket and pants. I've used a very high R rated pad as well–same story.

The only other thing I thought about was taking expedition weight thermals–but I somehow doubt they'd give me more than maybe five extra degrees–not sure.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 on calling Arron.

Should I move away from my Jacks R Better Quilt (good value), I would definitely get a Katabatic quilt.

I love that they they have a draft collar to help retain heat, which is the biggest issue I have with my current quilt….drafty shoulders.

I am jealous!

Let us know what you decide to do for overfill….will help those of us who run cold like you on our future purchases.

-Tony

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Locale: West

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in a different direction. I have and love Katabatic quilts. I have Alsek and look forward to adding a Chisos to my arsenal soon. I have found a way to literally COOK at night. Get an Xtherm pad! Wow! Not sure what you are using now but I can't believe the difference in warmth vs. my standard NeoAir's. The weight penalty is low for the additional warmth.

I also think Aaron's quilts are somewhat conservative on the temp ratings. I wouldn't add fill (they are already maximized for the bag size) but I would add the Xtherm to the equation.

Good Luck!

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Since you already have experience with Katabatic and know they come standard with what I would consider overfill. Then I like Darren's idea of the pad.

Arron was extremely helpful for me. So that is the other best idea.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I've used the quilt with a neo-air all season (R 4.9) and (while car camping) an REI Camp Bed 3.5" (R 7) and have felt cold with each one.

I'll talk to Aaron. I certainly would not want to add anymore down than would be useful.

Thanks again,

rhz

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools