Topic

White Mtns. (shoulder seasons) advice please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists White Mtns. (shoulder seasons) advice please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

Locale: Katahdin

Hello, this is my solo, overnight gear list for shoulder seasons in the White Mountains during April/May and October/November. Generally…day temps 35F, night temps 15F, I'm a warm sleeper. I would love to hear everyones feedback, thanks!

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9576

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I'd probably be cold with that gear except while hiking. I'm a warm sleeper and generally the lightest dressed while hiking and around camp.

I'm thinking it's going to be 15-20 at night in camp and in the morning? I'd want warmer gloves, socks, and jacket, unless you're planning to wear your quilt at those times?

The pad and quilt would probably only get me down to around 25F sleeping in comfort.

You might want to consider a mini Bic kept in a pocket as a backup along with some emergency tinder and a plastic pealess whistle.

I think I'd want WPB pants in case of a cold rain, but I'm not familiar with the ones you listed.

Are your shoes GoreTex? If not, your feet will get wet and cold. They will anyway without some type of waterproof gaiter in heavy rain or 3-4" or more of snow.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

might want Microspikes depending on the snow situation.

Remington Roth
    BPL Member

@remjroth

Locale: Atlantic Coast

You have a really solid gear list with some awesome gear. I liked how you included a styrofoam cup as a mug too – good idea on how to reuse something cheap.

I assume you already know that your "bear bag" probably won't do much to deter a bear since it's only a few ounces. I'm unfamiliar with where you're hiking. Maybe it's a non-issue.

I would leave the soap at home.

Also, It looks like you listed two fosters pots. Was that on purpose?

Overall, you have a really solid list.

jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

Great advice and comments!

@Andy
    F- You're right, the temperature would probally drop to 20F before retreating to my quilt and warmer gloves would be nice. The L/S thermal shirt, R1 hoody, down vest and driducks jacket would keep me comfortable. For camp footwear I would be using my goosefeet socks. While hiking, if needed, the bread bags are used as a waterproof/VB layer either outside/inside my sock depending on weather. The quilt has 14.3oz of down, the 3/4 neoair combined with CCF pad would have a 4.75R value under my torso and 2.25R plus my pack under my legs…was thinking this would be pretty solid down to 15F. I forgot a fire starter and whistle but do have a backup book of matches. The Wild Things wind pants are very water repellent, epic fabric, but if there were lots of rain I'd probally want my driduck pants.

@Jake
    D- You're right, microspikes would be needed if there was any frozen goodness on the ground.

@Remington- The styrofoam cup has been a great addition as of late. The bear bag also lists 40' of line and a nylo barrier along with it so I can suspend it high off the ground. I'm only bringing 1 Fosters pot, I have the caldera cone listed as "caldera, fosters" because I also have a caldera cone for my 1.9L evernew pot listed in my gear library as "caldera, evernew" and it helps me mentally keep the two seperate.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

"As for footwear I would be using my goosefeet socks with my hiking shoes sitting at camp and the bread bags as a waterproof/VB layer either outside or inside my sock depending on weather, if my boots are wet/dry/frozen and either hiking or sitting at camp."

For hiking with non-waterproof shoes, using the 2 bags as a VBL won't work because your socks will get wet from rain or snow at those temps. It might work if you used two additional bags as outer waterproofing layers, but I don't find bread bags to be very durable. Oven bags are more durable.

jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

If there was snow on the ground or rain the bags would be over my socks, the shoes would be wet. The socks would get moist with sweat but could be dried out quickly in camp using the down socks or sleeping bag. I do need to give the oven bags a try though, ill check them out.

Nick G

@hermesul

Just FYI, there are signs up at many campsites in the Whites about bears gaining access to hung food. Take care to hang your food well, and if you're at campsites, definitely do take advantage of the bear boxes.

jake.
    BPL Member

@jake-l

I've always been VERY careful where I hang my bag, they are crafty creatures. Often mama bear will send her cubs out on the spindly branches for the score. The boxes are convenient but im usually off the beaten path and don't have access to one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools