Topic

The Joys of Autumn

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique The Joys of Autumn

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Something I wrote that people seem to like. Thought I'd share….

Some thoughts on my favorite time of the year to be outside: Autumn

…Nature, who is superior to all style and ages, is now, with pensive

face, composing her poem Autumn, with which no work will be to

be compared.

–Thoreau, A WEEK ON THE CONCORD AND MERIMACK RIVERS

Every season in the outdoors has something to offer.

Winter is a time of skiing. Where the peaks are covered in deep powder, the sun is shining brightly and the sky is an intense blue. An almost magical feeling is had gliding along the powder and through the trees and hearing a Schuush! sound while being propelled downhill. A time to get to a frozen lake, enjoy the mountains around you and sip on some cocoa still hot in the thermos.

Brainard Lake Recreation Area

Spring has the Earth coming to life with fields of green, birds singing and the days grow longer. The foothills abound with wildflowers and the trails I have not hiked in months are rediscovered.

Pasque Flowers

Pasque Flowers

Summer? The high country is again opened up. The mountains can again be climbed. That special lake off-trail and deep in the backcountry can be seen again and the mountain sides are covered in Indian Paintbrush, Columbine, Glacier Lilies and other flowers that form a riot of color over the landscape.

Twin Lakes in the Rawah Wilderness

But my favorite time is a fleeting period of perhaps six weeks or so long. This time is called Autumn.  A time  when the air is crisp  and the nights are cool.  When there is a damp and pungent smell of decaying leaves.

Aspen leaves

The tundra and ground cover are turning a russet color and the aspens are gold. 

Rollins Pass area as viewed from the Continental Divide

Carpet of aspen on The Colorado / Continental Divide Trails

The elks bugling can be heard over  the distant ridge and a small campfire with its sound of crackling wood, smell of smoke and the enticing orange flames seem to only accentuate  the feeling.

Adrianna enjoying a campfire one cool evening

I love this time of the year and it is perhaps my favorite time to be outside. 

It comes on slowly with the first bit of coolness in the mountain morning that fades quickly in the warm, later summer sun.

But then it comes on quickly. The days are a bit cooler. The air is refreshing. The sun is out but not hot. 

Then the season exits just as fast.  The ground is covered in a frost the never leaves. The snows comes and never melts.

Autumn is brief  time to be cherished, embraced and enjoyed. 

Hope Pass

The days may be shorter, but the quality of light makes the photos memorable.

The crowds are less.

The insects are gone.

And I honestly think it is the best time to be outside.

But words only do so much. The smells, the feeling of the air on the skin as evening approaches and the views are all part of why I love this time of the year.

It is now September 6th, 2012.

Time to get outside.

And enjoy my favorite time of the year.

New Hampshire in the FallMy love affair with Autumn started in New England.

Early Fall in Arcadia Mgmt Area, Rhode Island

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Crisp days, no bugs, cold nights. Hiking without being sweaty. Hillsides flaming red, orange and yellow? I love it!

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

It's my favorite time of year as well. Despite being in San Diego which barely has a discernable fall. I really enjoyed that writing… thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

All the kids go back to school and even adults think the summer is over so go back to indoor activities.

Great! I don't have to endure the hordes anymore.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It's the best time of year here too.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

You got it! The smells, sounds, touch of coolness with the sun out even.
    Duane

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yup, Fall is the best.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools