Topic

ULA Sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

It's also been listed as 550 by Klymit and by reporters from the various shows where it was shown at.
    I think it really is 550.

There's only 2 reasons that I can think of for the 550.
    One is to make it cheaper, and the other is that the stiffer down and feathers in the lower grades of down hold the lofting up better in very damp conditions.

As I mentioned previously, I think this is a consumer-grade bag, and is not targeted at specialty ultralight users such as we have on this website.

Oh, and I do think that this is aimed at using the Klymit pads on the inside of the bag.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

one of the "advantagess" of using the klymit pad is the light weight … a heavy bag totally and utterly renders that argument obsolete …

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The North Face has been embroidering '550' on the sleeves of their down jackets for quite a few years now. I wouldn't be surprised if most consumers now think 550 is the gold standard for down, and thus ULA/Klymit are targeting that group :)

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Yes, I agree.

However, there are numerous bags from other large manufacturers which are just as expensive and even heavier than this ULA/Klymit bag.

That's why I'm saying that they are targeting the average consumer with this bag.

Here's an example:
    Kelty Light Year Down 20
    $239.95
    2 pounds 14 ounces
    600 Fill Power

That makes this ULA bag look like a bargain. It's lighter and its cheaper, and Kelty is one of the biggest selling bag makers around, with huge sales volume to make great economies of scale in production.
    Yes, I'm aware Kelty also makes the Cosmic 20.

But the point is that customers gravitate toward other aspects, and if that weren't true, then Kelty would only make one bag, and that would be the Cosmic 20.
    So, the consumer market is wider open than the SUL hiking crowd.

My friends think I'm nuts for spending over $400 on a WM Alpinlite bag with a 20 degree rating, when there clearly are 20 degree bags for much cheaper than that.

David Ure

@familyguy

Tom, we still do not know the amount of fill in this bag so we cannot even compare it to other bags in the same price range. We have no idea whether it will actually meet the expected warmth rating in a manner that provides some comfort.

I believe the Kelty bag is EN tested. I can also find the fabric specs online. Complete size measurements. Even where it is made. And of course the annual sales that knock off 30% off the MSRP make it an even more compelling choice.

On ULA's Facebook page a question was posed as to where this bag is sewn. Chris replied that he thought Asia (this is a big place, last time I checked) and that it was sourced by Klymit. In other words, one way to look at this is a simple re-badging of a Klymit bag with the ULA brand. For all we know this was part of the agreement in having Klymit develop and supply the suspension pad for the Catalyst. We just don't know. To be frank, it seems a little light for a 550 20 degree rated bag so I am interested in the fabric and the amount of fill.

ULA backpacks are low on weight and high on performance in comparison to mainstream offerings. I think where the sleeping bag is throwing many of us for a 'loop' is that this bag is neither light nor high on performance and probably not what most of us expect from ULA.

Time will tell.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

David,
    Yes, all true, and all good points.

My point is that even if we knew every detail, virtually none of us here would buy it.
    It's not targeted at us.
    We want sub-32 ounce 20-degree bags with 850-900 fill power and the lightest possible fabrics for super-duper compression and low carry weight.
    This bag just isn't going to hit any of that.

I think this bag is going to be on the rack at some dealer/store, and a customer is going to be in there buying a North Face Tent and stuff like that, and they'll look at some bags on the rack and pick out one that says "20 degrees F" on it, that they like the looks of, and that is in their price range.
    Ten-to-one says they only look at the tag to see how much it costs, not what it weighs.
    That's my take on it.

I believe this marks a move toward general consumer sales by these companies. I think that's what we're seeing.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I believe this marks a move toward general consumer sales by these companies. I think that's what we're seeing."

Interesting point and there is a good business case for it as well. Wider base; more revenue.

Thanks.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This thread seems to be generating more heat than light.

The original questions posted by Ken Thompson still stand I think:
    >>>
    Specs.

20 Degree
    550 Down Sleeping Bag
    2.59 lbs
    84.5" x 31.5" x 21.7"

At $225 it seems like a weird combination of materials and features. Who uses 550 down in a sleeping bag? The specs are kinda sparse, what fabrics are being used? Kinda heavy.
    >>>
    In my opinion, until someone is able to do a hands on review, any real conclusion about the value trade off in this 20 degree bag product will be hard to see, hard to judge. The Klymit product portfolio and many of its design and engineering elements such as the use of noble gasses are unique, if not quirky.

As to ULA's motives, given that the Klymit site is selling/marketing a ULA pack, this looks like classic cross promotional partnership activity, to wit, "you help me market my product and I will help you market yours." Since MLD also incorporates Klymit components in its packs, I guess many of the posters can only hope not to see this bag show up on Ron Bell's site.

By way of disclosure, I own one ULA pack purchased from Brian but have had good customer service from the current owners. I own a bivy, tarp and mid from MLD. I am still trying to figure out whether to return my Klymit sleeping pad to REI or keep it. :-)

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

"As to ULA's motives, given that the Klymit site is selling/marketing a ULA pack, this looks like classic cross promotional partnership activity, to wit, 'you help me market my product and I will help you market yours.' "

Have ULA packs been made available at overseas retailers that also happen to sell Klymit products? I happened upon ULA rucksacks at Ultralight Outdoor Gear in the UK. Wondering if spreading the product to more dealerships is the motive, or does Klymit have connections with Asian manufacturers that will become the new builders of ULA packs.

Andrew Weldon
    BPL Member

@hypnolobster

I asked on Facebook about where the bag was made and got an answer:

Hmm

I'm not really sure what I think about it. I'm really not terribly concerned either way and I understand that it's probably an attempt to reach a wider backpacking audience.

Really doesn't effect my opinion of the company either way. They still make great packs and that's all I'm concerned with.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

They make heavy packs, by sul standards.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

ULA doesn't cater to the SUL market. That comment adds little to the discussion about the sleeping bag.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Exactly, thats why they don't care about a medium weight sleeping bag I suppose. But I sure do, thats why I would never buy that.

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools