Topic

Lightweight Small Scissors

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Small Scissors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Can anyone recommend where to find locally or online, a small lightweight pair of scissors for a medical kit? I want to get rid of my Leatherman Juice S2.

Any recommendations on a small yer still useful (for making fires) blade would be appreciated. I already have a Mora Companion MG – HC Steel, but it weighs in at 3.9oz…and the Juice S2 at 4.4oz (with it's pair of scissors)…so trading out the Juice for the Mora with small scissors isn't gonna work. Gotta get this weight down.

TIA!

KJ

David Affleck

@utcoyote

Squirt PS4? About 2 oz, with scissors, knife, pliers etc. Or one of the smaller Swiss Army knives that have scissors.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Victorinox Swiss Army Classic knife is just 3/4oz and has tweezers too. A pair of small Fiskars craft scissors (like embroidery scissors) are only 0.6oz and are much more effective than any of the scissors that come with knives. I carry a single edge razor blade wrapped in clear tape that is the lightest cutting edge I have found. If you want crazy light scissors, you can take apart a Swiss Army knife and keep the scissors, but they aren't as easy to use without the knife as a handle.

I think the Fiskars option is very good and frees you in deciding what knife or multi-tool to use. Add the Victorinox "Little Vicky" paring knife and you will have all the cutting tools needed for food prep, first aid and general repairs, and you will still be under 2 ounces :)

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

I have been eyeing the Kershaw Two Can for a while.

You can use it as scissors or as a blade with a single bevel. It has a gate clip for attaching to whatever. Weighs in at 0.9 oz.

I used one of them in a store and thought they would work fine for standard backpacking duty. IMHO, I would prefer using this to an SAK Classic because the blade is a bit more robust and larger than the SAK and the scissors seemed to be much easier to use. On the other hand, I am not a fan of blades with single bevel grind (like the Baledeo and the leatherman squirt multitools).

Might be an option worth looking at…. They run for 20 bucks on amazon.

from kershaw's website

ABOUT THIS PRODUCT:
    The patent-pending Two Can is a combination knife and scissors tool. Open one blade and use the Two Can like any pocketknife. But when only a pair of scissors will get the job done, open the Two Can's second blade and you've got an easy-to-use pair of scissors that can be operated by pressing the two blades together between thumb and forefinger. The Two Can features Kershaw's quality construction, too. The blades are tough 420J2 stainless steel and fold into a 303 stainless steel or anodized aluminum handles. Users deploy the blades with nail-nicks slotted in each blade. There's even has a mini-carabineer built into the handle to make it easy to attach the tool to key chain or zipper pull for easy access to this handy tool.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Steel: 420J2 stainless-steel
    Handle: Anodized aluminum
    Blade Length: 1 1/2 in. (3.5 cm)
    Closed Length: 2 3/4 in. (7.0 cm)
    Weight: 0.9 oz.

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

I just went to REI, and was bent on picking up a Leatherman Squirt PS4, but hanging right next to the PS4, was the Gerber "Dime" for $19.95…

I bought one, and it looks great, although slightly heavier at 2.2 oz.

Z.

http://www.rei.com/product/832504/gerber-dime-keychain-multitool

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if you don't want to dissect one of your knives, you can purchase the scissors as stand alone ones (they are replacements for the Swiss Card)- that's what I did (as I carry a small fixed blade knife and don't need to carry two knives)

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Replacement-Scissors-SwissCard/30521

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

OOH! That looks perfect! Any idea of their weight and length, etc.?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

6 grams, 2 3/4" long- you could get the weight to 4 grams by trimming off the round section at the end (would also shorten them a little too)

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Mike

Awesome! Thank you for your help. I've never ran across that product. Found the whole card on Amazon for $15 and Free shipping. As long as the scissors will cut moleskin it's a Win – Win! The whole card combined with a Mora Classic 2/0 will come in at 2.8oz or less. I just loose out on the pliers on my Leatherman Juice S2…but oh well, I'll deal. It's nice cause the other stuff in the card will also replace a few other heavier items I already have. :O)

KJ

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Yes, those scissors in the card will cut moleskin. I'll also point out that ANY time you use scissors instead of a blade, you reduce the likelihood of injuries.

My Swiss Army (Victorinox) Classic is 21 grams. Blade, scissors, nail file (+small flat screwdriver), toothpick, tweezers. I popped the handle off of one side (the toothpick side) of one of mine, but it only saved 1.5 grams = 19.5 g, so I wouldn't suggest it – it is easier to hold and use with plastic on both sides.

Sometimes, SierraTradingPost.com has girly patterned ones (flowers, bright colors, whatever) for cheap, especially if used with a 25% off offer.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

David

Thanks for the heads up on the pocket knife format. I'm thinking the Swisscard (sounds like I should be putting luxurious charges on it) is gonna fit my bill a little better being at least 0.5oz less and containing a pen & sliver pickin' pin. I kinda like that the little razor blade replacement knife and scissors are not all connected should I need to use them in some (medical?) precise way.

I think this combined with the Mora Classic 2/0 knife should make a good kit of tools to tackle almost anything. Let's just hope I don't end up finding a serious need for the pliers contained in my Juice S2 down the road.

Once again, thanks for your insight and frugality. I appreciate it!

KJ

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Try the LM Micra, you can have scissors and you won't need the Juice.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

How about a Leatherman Style? Knife, scissors, little screwdriver, nail file, and tweezers, all weighing only .8 ounce (stated weight on package; I didn't weigh mine.)

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

at 42 gram (and $17) this tiny multitool has everything you need:
    Scissors
    420HC Knife
    Flat/Phillips Screwdriver
    Nail File
    Tweezers

Amazing piece of gear!

The smallest is the Style:

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Founds some good reviews of the two different Swiss Cards:

Victorinox Swiss Card Lite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c64l2Qk8RYY

Victorinox Swiss Card Classic:

YouTube video

Jen Churchward
    BPL Member

@mahgnillig

If you're looking for a standalone blade that is better than your average mini multitool blade, check out the Spyderco Ladybug. It has a 2" locking blade which feels pretty sturdy and is sharp. Weighs 17g on my scale :)

gregory tomlinson

@osconfused

Locale: New York City

It sounds like you've already settled on a tool, but I just wanted to throw fly tying scissors out as a light weight pair thats fairly easy to search for. I have a couple of pairs. A standard metal pair from a fly tying starter kit is just 16g. And a pair of kershaw skeeter II are 24g and even have fancy handles, though they contribute to the weight.

Also, for folding knives, the SOG micro tanto is pretty small and is 12g, though it doesn't have a lock on the blade. I personally have a victorinox basic little knife 21g with the scissors that I use.

Jim L
    BPL Member

@bmafg

Stainless blades with plastic handles. Actually handle and cut very nicely.

Eight (8) grams.

Scissors

Have no clue where they came from but they are disposable suture removal scissors. Found them cleaning out Dad's house after he died.

Jim

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Mike

Just wanted to say thanks again for the tip on the SAK Swisscard scissors. Great little tiny scissors!! Even though they're smaller than the ones in my LM Juice S2, I feel they're better made and can definately handle whatever I throw at them.

KJ

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ken- glad they worked for you! :)

Mike

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I ordered a pair of these recently more out of curiosity than anything else.

Large finger loop Slip and Snip scissors

I do like the fact that they open to 180 degrees to allow the handles to slide in and cover the points and cutting edges when not in use.

Scissors closed / safe mode

The picture above is a representation of how they close. The finger loops did not shrink. ;-)

The weight is advertised as 1.5 oz. I'll throw them on my scale as soon as they arrive.

Party On,

Newton

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

As a result of this thread, I too ordered a pair of the replacement scissors offered by Victorinox and I'm glad I did. Not only did I receive the super-cool scissors, but they shipped me, for free, some awesome cologne that "captures the scent and woody masculine sensuality of the open-air spirit of Switzerland." I've had three dates with supermodels this week as a result.

They also sent me a 10% off coupon for purchases at swissarmy.com that expires 9/30/12. Use code SAVE2 (knife, cutlery or fragrances only).

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

heck- I just may get another set just for the cologne :)

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Can I just somehow receive the resulting supermodels? …I already have the scissors.

If it's of any interest to anyone, the Swisscard scissors can be held shut by slipping a small segment of IHateSupportingtheWaltonsmart aquarium air pump airline over the blades of the scissors. Adds virtually no weight and keeps the pokey end from dun did pokin' things and the o.2oz weight I stated earlier includes the tubing (but is probably 0.25oz (my scale only goes to to 10ths on an oz).

Also, using some more of the airline and some painters tape, I converted the Swisscard pressurized "pen" (read: cartridge) into a far more usable pen with cover weighing in at BARELY 0.1oz. Probably not going to find a usable pen that will weigh in less than that. The only downfall is that mine is blue ink…EWWWWW! (No offense to lawyers) :O)

KJ

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

"heck- I just may get another set just for the cologne"

Easily replicated by mixing 1 part pine sol and 1 part carlos rossi wine.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools