Topic

Newbie With Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Newbie With Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

I can't stress enough that you shouldn't buy expensive gear before thinking about how it will best suit your particular style and methods of camping. I suggest buying a good sleeping mat first, using your current pack, because you will change all your gear first, then buy the right pack that fits that stuff and carries the proper weight for your setup after. You might find that you prefer a tarp, or you might live where there are lots of bugs and mice and so, like me, you'd prefer a tent. You don't have to spend a lot. But keep in mind this is a lightweight forum, and so to be honest that list is a list of way too heavy items by most people's standards on this site. I think it would be safe to say many people would suggest going with a cottage manufacturer over a big manufacturer. Think about this – 32 ounce big agnes Fly Creek UL2 (not really for 2 unless you are dating) costs $349 or more usually. For $225 you get Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker at 24 ounces, or for a mere $125 the heavier skyscape Scout at 34 ounces. Check out their site. But also meet some people, go hiking, see this kind of gear in action, maybe buy a cheap tarp at the local store and take it one time just to see if you like tarp camping, for example. Buy the items one at a time as you use and see and learn about why each item is different. But in general, check out six moon designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, Hyperlite mountain gear, and a lot of the other cool cottage brands. Also look at golite, they often have great clearance deals.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Hey Guys/Gals… Thanx for the continued insight/input.

I am sure I will find a balance between budget/need/weight.

I'm pretty sure my PM is set-up BTW…but…can't post threads in the Gear Swap.

I like the looks of the Six Moon Designs Scout…Any further thoughts on that???…I use trekking poles already, so that set-up would work.

Any experience/opinions on the Golite Adrenaline quilts?…I tend to move around while I sleep, so not sure if the freedom would be better, or I would open myself up to discomfort/drafts. Maybe this would work for now with my current Thermarest (although I will take a look at the models mentioned above).

Thanx again…

-Mark

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I really like my marmot 600 down bag. Much warmer than my sierra designs and north face synthetic bags. Also packs down into half their size. Also lasts forever, compared to synthetic, which looses loft due to compression, and washing. The marmot is roomier than my north face cats meow, about the same amount of roomy as my sierra designs bag, and has a much better fitting hood than both.

gregory tomlinson

@osconfused

Locale: New York City

Living in the midwest, I'm sure you are well aware of humidity and mold issues. I lived in Columbia, MO for a number of years and it was a constant issue at that time. I would weigh the heavy humidity issues into consideration when choosing any gear. There are several books from the ultralight community that reflect on how some of these new fabrics work regarding humidity levels. I can not-so-fondly recall taking a down bag out to a river campsite in the Ozarks and feeling seriously cold since the down ended up somewhat wet due to humidity and general dampness and wetness in the air. It made me think twice about doing any outdoors stuff for a number of years. I wish I had been more informed about how these high-tech fabrics work then so I could properly utilize it for the area.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Originally, I was looking at synthetic bags, but after scanning the forum for a bit had been "swayed" (I guess) to lighter down bags.

Before, I had pretty much settled on looking for a TNF Cat's Meow 20.

Any thoughts on that bag???

TA
    -Mark

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i use it and it works fine … you biggest problem is the bulk (not weight) and the eventual degradation of the loft, though modern insulation ameliorates this to a decent extent IMO

the flipside is that itll take any weather condition you can throw at it within its rating … and if you wear damp (not soaked) clothes in it, including light down jackets, with a hawt nalgene theyll be decently dry by morning …

there are also people here who make cheapish synthetic quilts … the problem of bulk and loft degradation remain … you can make it last longer by lightly stuffing it at the bottom of yr bag with synths …

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Any thoughts/comparison between the Six Moons Scout and the MH Sprite 1???

Also, still wondering if any has anything to add about the Golite Adrenaline 800 Quilt?

TA
    -Mark

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Scout is a great shelter. I owned one for a coupe of weeks. :) I liked it but decided to try to track down a Tarptent Moment, which would meet more of my needs. Anyhow, since you use trekking poles it could work out well. Sturdy construction, easy to get a taut pitch, opens up really well if you're in a hot humid area (can roll "fly" back), and if you order from antigravity gear you get a free groundcloth and set of titanium stakes.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

So…I picked up a Marmot Pinnacle 15 bag tonight. Not super UL of course…but…800 fill and (hopefully) usual Marmot quality…2.4# I believe.

I'm leaning towards the SMD Scout…Anyone have any final thoughts between the Scout and any of the original tents I listed…or the MSR Hubba…or the MH Sprite???

Thanx again for all the help…

-Mark

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Heh, I have a pinnacle, it was UL once upon a time. Great bag in my experience.

I've already chimed in about the Scout, but I can think of a couple of big differences btw it and double walled tents. 1) its lighter, 2) you can set it up in the rain without getting inside of shelter all wet, but 3) this is a con, at least to me (but not a dealbreaker): no real vestibule to speak of — just enough room for boots really. Hubba has a nice vestibule (Sprite not sure about, but I'm thinking it doesn't). Vestibule is nice if you need to wait out weather and want somewhere for gear (maybe wet gear), cooking, etc. Without one you make it work, just mash gear inside with you or leave it outside protected in pack with pack cover or whatever — depends on your needs and packing habits.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Yeah…On paper, the Hubba's footprint looks nice/compact, but with the biggest vestibule of the bunch.

The Scout offers more floor space, so I could just use the pack at my head in that case.

The Sprite is odd, with it's built in side space for gear/dog/whatever…but I assume it works.

Blind decisions are always hard…

TA
    -Mark

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

One other advantage to the Scout is if it doesn't quite work for you, you could easily sell it here without taking much of a hit.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Definitely a good point…

-Mark

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have or have tried numerous tents, including TT Moment, Scarp 2, Hogback, and the Golite Shangrila 3 to which I sewed in detachable netting to make it like a tarptent. I still use the Scarp 2 and Hogback when more people are along, but my favorite solo tent is the BA Copper Spur UL1. It's the tent in my photo. I really like the amazing space and weight of a tarp too.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Both my camping buddies just bought the Eureka spitfire SUL shelter (that's the 1.2kg option) and are yet to use it but setting it up in the bak yard it seems to be a good tent. I went from the zephyr1 to a tarptent rainbow and cannot be happier!! The zephyr needs 16(!!) Pegs to set up properly and when you are in rocky teritory like I was once it was a real pain. Also didn't like the front entry mode lack of views and weight. The rainbow meets all my requirements and I just came back from a cold and windy night and it performed really well. It is a single skin shelter and breazier than the zephyr but better in every aspect. Very happy camper :)

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey Guys…I like the BA (and the MSR Carbon Reflex) but I don't like the cost.

I've eliminated the Zephyr from the running…still so-so on the Spitfire.

I really like the look/specs/reviews of the TT Rainbow…but…I'm wondering if it worth the price premium over the SMD Scout???

Anyone used both and have a strong opinion??

Open to any other suggestions…the tent/shelter is the last piece of (basic) gear that I need to pick-up to hit the trail ASAP.

TA
    -Mark

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Hi Mark,

Just sent you a PM.

Cheers,
    Aaron

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

I agree, the CS UL1 is a great solo tent. Compact, easy to setup, room is good for one, just an all around good tent. Its the one I go out the door with when its just me.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

FWIW – The quality of the items you're asking about – and buying – (shelter, sleeping bag, etc) is great, but the weight is still heavyby UL criteria. So if your budget is your primary concern, I would NOT buy retail. Rather, review the gear swap on this and other sites for bargains. I would narrow my choices to 1-3 models for each gear item you're looking for and then shop the sales.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey Susan… I haven't bought a single item new yet (excluding a cheapo stove and the "cheap deals" Ti kettle someone posted)…

I picked up the Pinnacle and Aether used and have had the Thermarest for years (although I think I will just grab a cheap CCF pad as well).

Right now, two kindly forumites have offered shelters to me…I'm just trying to educate myself and find the best compromise of performance/cost/weight/value….there's a TON of info/experience out there on shelters…much of it conflicting of course! ;)

Other than a shelter, using some of my regular camping gear, and grabbing a few little side items…I'm ready to go…hopefully at the end of the month. Ozarks or Shawnee NF to start, I'm sure.

TA
    -Mark

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

sorry i missed that in your other posts. again, good luck and happy gear hunting!

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools