Topic

New 140D Dyneema Grid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New 140D Dyneema Grid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I just came across this today. Thru-hiker has come out with a 2.5 ounce dyneema grid. I assume this is the same as what is in the gossamer gear packs.

http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php

Edit: As paul pointed out, 3.5 ounces. I transposed it incorrectly.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I love the weight and the classic blue option. Not a fan of $30/yd, but the market sets the price I guess.

Ryan

Tyler Johnson
    BPL Member

@riemannia

Locale: Northeast Georgia

As soon as I finish off the rest of my gigantic to-sew list

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

At that price, I can't think of a single reason why you'd pick gripstop over cuben, cuben hybrids, or Dimension-Polyant fabrics. It's a good fabric, and it is nice to see normal folks have options, but it is also time for manufacturers to acknowledge that gripstop is (a bit) antiquaited.

Paul Nanian

@paulnanian

finished weight 140d gridstop = 3.5 oz/yd2 (120g/m2)
    finished weight 210d gridstop = 4.2 oz/sq yd (140g/m2).

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I don't know if I can justify the price on this one, as I have basically quit using dyneema grid as it is for myself, but this fabric is perfect for fabric pockets. DP does not gather well at all. Cuben has better ripstop, but I have not found its abrasion resistance to be better.

As far as gridstop vs DP, gridstop provides a higher denier at lighter weight. The difference is waterproofness and stiffness. And, of course, price.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

This is cool and exciting, but as David mentioned, too little too late. Better than 210D Dyneema X, I think, with the lighter weight and high strength, but cuben hybrids I think are better at the lighter weight. For heavier weight fabrics, 500D Dyneema X is really good stuff, but I've preferred Dimension-Polyant at those weights myself.

I want my packs to be abrasion resistant, waterproof, and tear resistant, pretty much in that order. Tears are rare, but wear from abrasion is common; a waterproof pack design simplifies my life in the outdoors.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Not sure that a high quality nylon isn't going to be just as abrasion proof for practical purposes as nylon with the Dyneema grid. Getting into very light fabrics usually involves taking better care of the gear: not dropping the pack down chimneys, for example (like I foolishly used to do with 8-10 oz Cordura).

As for waterproofness, all we have to go on from T-H is, "Just the right amount of PU coating keeps it waterproof." Doesn't sound as though it is any more WP than what we have now; and unfortunately, my experience with PU coatings is that they degrade after a while. For a new, expensive lightweight pack fabric, something more is expected.

But for MYOG purposes, the suppleness of nylon, along with the tight stitch holes, make for much easier construction and effective sealing. I haven't seen this from any of the mylar laminates. So for me, the hunt for nylon with a better coating continues. Right now, I'm hunting balloon fabrics. Will see what develops. But yes, for a really super coating on a 100-200 denier high quality nylon, I would pay $30/yd.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

The Dyneema grid doesn't add any abrasion resistance, you're right. It adds great tear resistance at a minuscule weight.

Regarding the waterproofness: I, too, have had PU coatings degrade after awhile (maybe with 140D, the coating will fail near the same time as the nylon). However, my more immediate concern is how PU coated fabrics tend to soak up water and never dry. I've never considered my Dyneema X packs to be waterproof–the inside of the fabric always ends up soaked–however I trust my cuben (and cuben hybrid) and dimension-polyant packs to be totally waterproof in a downpour.

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

I rather buy Woven Cuben if at such price~~! even the dyneema x did look nicer [cosmetic] to Cuben XP

Woven Cuben Pro and Con VS Dyneema X
    Stiff / soft
    thinner / thicker [on same weight of fabric]
    No coating / PU coating will melt
    Stronger strange / weaker [on same weight of fabric]

Why need to pay such price just for the softness only?

Nor very few source on Dyneema X in the market and that why the retailer can make such high margin?

Cheers
    Jason

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Dyneema Grid in 140D is easier to work with and more forgiving to use a seam ripper on if you make a mistake and will encourage new MYOG people to try and make their own equipment.

I have worked with Xpac and sung it praises but you have to be precise seamstress and the learning curve is high. If you make a mistake and try to correct the mistake with a seam ripper. The fabric film will leave puncture mark behind defeating the pack being completely waterproof. I assume with Cuben being a film fabric you will have the same problem.
    So great for Paul at thru hiker to offer a lighter weight New 140D Dyneema Grid X ,Plus it come in two new colors jet black and classic blue for people wanting a different colored pack to make.
    Terry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools