Topic

Your replacement for Montrail Hardrocks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your replacement for Montrail Hardrocks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Since the Hardrocks have been discontinued, what works for you now? I have had two pair of them, the last now is the '09 models, that fit me perfect, right out of the box. I used them for the first time, two years ago on a solo trip to the Winds. What other styles or brands are you using now when you had to switch, assuming you have had to buy another set of trail runners. I wear a 10.5, did the size carry over to what you are using now? I see my current pair took a good beating in the Sequoia NP a month ago, bping in the Mono Creek area for 6 nights, this being the third season for them. They are breaking out where my foot hinges in front of the laces. I also wear Smartwool Trekking socks.
    Duane

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

I have a pair of the older hardrocks and had a hard time finding a replacement, I picked up a pair of the Montrail rogue racer and that worked really well for me on a recent hike. They're more of a 'minimalist' design and I don't think they'll last quite as long as my hardrocks did. YMMV

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

this is hilarious to say the Rogue Racers are a replacement for the old Hardrocks.

like replacing combat boots with house slippers :-)

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

The closest I have found are The Montrail AT Plus:

http://www.amazon.com/Montrail-At-Plus-Hiking-Orange/dp/B003AB6JCO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346783203&sr=8-2&keywords=montrail+at+plus

Not exactly the same, but similar in character, stiff sole, slightly wide fit, a little heavy compared to most trail running shoes. Not really even a running shoe, sort of between a running shoe and a boot.

I have one pair of old Hardrocks that is worn but still wearable, and I bought a pair of the AT Plus this spring and have been using them all summer.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Supposedly the Sabino Trail was the replacement to the Hardrock. They are discontinued as 2011 models and I see them on clearance at several places.

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

They do feel a bit dainty compared to the hardrocks =)

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for the thread…Mine are sadly underused and will probably last me another year or so, but they're the only hiking shoes I've ever had that were perfect right out of the box.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thanks Tom, that was a option I was looking for too, a discontinued model to save a few bucks. More stove collecting money. :)
    Duane

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The 2007 women's Hardrocks were a perfect fit for me and had exactly the right amount of support, but since then, forget it. Boo to Columbia Sportswear! When the Hardrock was discontinued, I tried both the AT Plus and Sabino Trail in women's, but both were too wide in the heel for me (my heel actually slipped right out of the AT Plus with laces fully tightened at the top). I since have switched to New Balance W1012 running shoes, which at least fit me perfectly and provide the support I need. I wish they had a deeper tread, though. None of NB's trail runners use their SL-2 last (narrow heel, high arch, wide and high forefoot), which I need for fit, and only one model (with the standard last, no help) has motion control, which I also need because I pronate badly. I'm therefore basically stuck with the road-running shoes. Fortunately NB has deepened the tread a bit on these so they're not as slick as they used to be.

I was told by my podiatrist that my pronation problems, plus insufficient stretching, probably were a big cause of the plantar fasciitis that has kept me off my feet for most of this year's hiking season, and that wearing the old somewhat worn, 5-year-old Hardrock shoes (shoe ingredients lose their cushioning ability with age, even in the box, he claimed) probably also contributed. He insisted I get a new pair of shoe–and new orthotics–at least once a year, preferably twice, and discard the old ones or, at the most, use them for gardening. So much for buying up shoes before the models change! At least New Balance, so far, keeps the same lasts even though they change the shoe models from year to year.

How this info transfers to the men's shoes, I can't say. You may have better luck finding what you need in a good running shoe store rather than at REI or other outdoor stores.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I found some Sabino's for $49 plus shipping last night. STP has some at $20 more.
    Duane

Michael Gilbertson
    Spectator

@mkgil

After a lot of research, I settled on the Inov-8 Roclite 320s, which became the 319s and then the 309s, if memory serves. The last was similar to the Hardrocks; the dual density midsole worked for my pronation–which wasn't as severe as Mary D's. The combination of the plantar bands and the four arrow cushion gave me sufficient protection from rocks, after I spent some transition time with day hikes.

Alas, Inov-8 is discontinuing all four arrow cushioning, so look for closeouts at reduced prices. Wishful thinking: perhaps if enough of us emailed Inov-8 to point out that mimimal cushioning may work for mimimist trail running, but not as well for hours of hiking with a backpack, they might bring back the four arrow cushioning and market it as a lightweight hiking shoe.

Michael

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools