Topic

Low cost Puffy Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Low cost Puffy Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

What are the best options for low cost, lightweight puffy pants? Down or Synthetic? I have too much gear and am looking downsize to one of everything and feel I can use my newly purchased Marmot Hydrogen bag with puffy jacket and pants to keep me warm to around 20 or so and sell my other bags and quilt. BTW, by low cost, I mean about $100 or less.

Dave Ploessel
    Spectator

@mailesdad

western mountaineering flash pants are pretty amazing. About $175 a pair but you can (rarely) find them on sale for less than 150…

incredibly warm, about 7 oz… on some things, it's just worth it to spend the extra dough. when it is on things that keep me from going hypothermic…

Ron Jameson
    BPL Member

@tigerpaws

Locale: Upstate SC

Size XL patagonia puff pants for sale on hammock forums.
    Ron

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I second the Patagona Puff pants, they can be had on ebay for less than 80bucks.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Light insulated pants under $100? We can all dream….

The Montbell's are the least expensive and lightest ones, plus being a big company, they can often be found on sale.

If you have time, you might be able to find them on sale for close to $100. Or used for less.

Otherwise, some very basic fleece pants, with out zippers, and pocktes etc, are warm and cheap, but obviously not as light.

Your choice.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

…but definitely durable and in the price range are the military surplus M65 Pant Liners. They're about 9.5 oz, according to this thread, and are made of the same stuff as a poncho liner (which is good down into the mid-forties for most folks when sleeping).

Hope it helps!

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Those surplus, military liner pants are cut to fit about mid-calf, above high top military boots. Buy a second pair of liner pants to cut to add more length to the pant legs, hand stitched, no sewing machine necessary.

With a sewing machine, you could make them into chaps to save some weight.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

If you can find them, the 'long' version comes to aboute ankle length.

I don't wear puffy pants often, but when i do, these dirt bagger specials work well.

If I had more ambition, I'd upgrade my basic sewing skills and sew in some cords on the ankles and waist.

And, as someone mentioned, these pants are only $10. :)

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

I just received my M65 pant liners today.
    I got the small (27-31) waist – long inseam size and side buttons version. It weighs 390g or 14 oz – quite a bit more than I expected. The version without side buttons weighs less I imagine, but I wanted this version so I can layer over my pants when resting/setting up camp/cooking.

I'm 29-30" in waist, 31" inseam, and skinny. The pant liner comes down to my ankles, I can't complain. The waist has some adjustment to it, can't complain here either. The pant liner is very baggy on the other hand, I don't see how it could be called a pant liner (unless you're a rapper :)). As an overpant it is adequate, but still on the baggy side.

If I were a 32" waist, I wouldn't shy away from the SM size. If I ever come across a pair, I'd like to try an XS size…

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Yeah, the ones w/o the side buttons are about 3-4 oz lighter.

Find I use them more for car camping or just before a backpacking trip when I bivvied the night before. (In the morning, I slip them over shorts as I am packing up my gear and eating breakfast)

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

Some of the cheaper snowmachine pants are acceptably light, though I'd go with the military ones if you aren't mountaineering.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

The military green Patagonia puff trousers are very good, my Xl comes in at 470g

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools