Topic

ULA Ohm 2.0 vs Gossamer Gear Gorilla

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Ohm 2.0 vs Gossamer Gear Gorilla

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rick Burtt
    BPL Member

@rburtt

Been looking for a pack with more capacity and better weight distribution than my current preferred GoLite Peak. I use the Peak for weekend (2-3 night) trips and I'm looking for a sub-two-pound pack for 6-7 night trips. The added volume and weight will be almost exclusively from food and fuel. My current BPW sits right around 9.2 lbs (based on the Peak stripped down to 19 oz), so I'll be looking at a total weight around 25 lbs, assuming 1.5 lbs food per day for a week. Current two front runners are the Ohm 2.0 and the Gorilla.

Thoughts?

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Both are excellent options — go with the one that fits you the best !

I've used the 2011 Circuit from ULA and liked it a lot for total weights around 30-35 lbs — comfortable carry — I just didn't need the volume it provided (hence the Ohm would likely be right around the Gorilla) , and my current 5-7 day pack is the 2012 Gorilla which at 25 lbs I find to be the best all around for how I like to pack and use my gear — also I like the wide shoulder pads that GG uses. I'd say try both out and keep the one you like the best. Really like the removable sit pad for taking rest breaks and sitting on gravel beaches cooling my feet.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

After handling both in person, I think the Ohm wins in a landslide. The Ohm 2.0 is larger than the Gorilla, and I didn't care for the Gorilla's boxier construction. Obviously, a lot of people on here like the Gorillas–and personally, I think their hoop stay is brilliant–, but I think the Ohm 2.0 has a much stronger hip belt attachment and the overall pack design is stronger (excellent side pockets, properly angled shoulder straps, better compression). The only place the Gorilla probably beats the Ohm is in materials. But Ohm users report excellent durability of the 70d fabric.

If you really like the Gossamer Gear packs, the Mariposa is probably a closer comparison in size.

Obviously, fit trumps everything. It's worth the extra shipping to get them both and load them up and try them on.

/*/Edited for spelling./*/

Rick Burtt
    BPL Member

@rburtt

Going to try the Ohm first and see how it fits and carries. May try the Gorilla too, though, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools