Topic

NeoAir at Campmor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals NeoAir at Campmor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jeanine Taylor
    BPL Member

@jetaylor

Locale: Oregon

I received an email from Campmor about a sale on Neoair mattresses.
    For example, the Xtherm regular is $113.97. It's "irregular".
    The prices are great. Anyone know what "irregular" means?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

probably small if i had to guess

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

Looks like they are all gone

Jeanine Taylor
    BPL Member

@jetaylor

Locale: Oregon

The Neoair Xlite is $95.97 for a size regular and is still available this morning.
    It is also marked in all sizes as "irregular".

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Got one of the x-therm irregulars, in size regular (Do those cancel each other out?) before they disappeared. Will post what I can detect that would have it be "irregular."

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Anyone know if the standard cascade designs warrenty still applies to these pads or is this like refurbished electronics?

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Generally, "irregular" means a slight cosmetic blemish that does not interfere with the intended fucntionality of a product. The retailer can't sell it for full price since it's not in perfect condition, but can sell at a discount to make up for the blemish.

For the consumer, it can mean a good deal if you don't care about cosmetics. I routinely buy "irregular" clothing items, like socks where the discounted price can be as high as 75% off the full retail price. For example, I have bought Smart Wool socks that sell for ~$20.00 for about $2.50 from REI and other online retailers. The only problem was a missed stitch in the cuff.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

Just purchased an Xtherm "irregular" for $113 and free shipping. all they had was regular size left.

When I saw this post the other day I went to check it out and the xtherm was gone, this morning I woke up and said screw it Im buying the womens version for $95, right when I was paying I saw the xtherm on the side advertisement bar, "irregular" written along with it, this cant be true can it?…sure enough it was in stock.

The xtherm is heavier (4oz) but this way I get a full 72 inches and +2 r value warmer and most importantly the beefier 70d bottom material

I am pumped up! pun intended what a deal.

I have used a womens size mattress before and at 5'10'' i find it is serviceable for a full length mat, only when I sleep on my back straight out do my heels pop off, most of the time I am on my side in a slight curl. If I was going for as light as could be while still functional I would have choosen the womens version, but alas I have skimped on sleeping pads before and I think the added weight is worth it for a good nights sleep.

Blowing them up and deflating does get to be annoying day in day out on something like a thru hike.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Clint, are you familiar with the Camptek Microburst pump? It weighs 2.3 oz, inc. batteries. Originally, it was designed for the Stephenson Down-Air mat, whose inflator bag is pure torture to use, especially in a tent, but it works with any of the usual inflatable suspects–particularly where you don't want moisture building up in the mat–anything with down or synthetic insulation, but apparently also the x-therm.

I've got one, but haven't tried it yet. One winter camping trip with the Stephenson convinced me that 2.3 oz was a small price to pay.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I have heard folks complain about the task of inflating and deflating the NeoAir and have to say that they kind of puzzle me. It takes 15 deep breaths and under a minute for me to inflate my size regular. I open the valve while still on the pad and getting dressed in the morning. By the time I am ready to roll it up it is empty enough to roll up, expelling the last bit of air as I roll it.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

I totally agree that the NeoAir is a piece of cake to blow up. I've had plenty of experience, as the last two I owned each had small leaks right from the beginning, something I discovered in each case at the beginning of a week-long trip. Nothing more fun than waking every 1.5 to 2.5 hours to re-inflate your mat, night after night. Thermarest covered these under warranty (still waiting for the second return), and they've probably figured out the production problem by now.

But with some mats, you definitely don't want to inflate them by blowing, and should use some kind of pump bag set-up, or a pump, to prevent moisture accumulating in the mat.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

I got an email back from campmor and they are fully covered by thermarests warrenty and just have colouration defects.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

In reality blowing up the neo air is easy, I would not have purchased a new one if it was a real issue, there is really not much to it. At the same time doing it every day for five months may get old, was my only point. It is not like throwing down a foam mat and plopping on down.

Speaking of inflating the neo air, just received my new one today, have not blow it up yet am about to do it, wanted to weigh it first…it came in at 444.4g or 15.7oz that is .7 more than listed, maybe that is what is "irregular" about it. Really probably within limits. The top looks to be a bit more army green if you will than what I could see in the pictures online, maybe they had a color issue, I mean it is a solid color not spotty or miscolored in places.

All in all im please, we shall see if it inflates

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

I purchased an xlite large. Mine had a small patch on the top of the pad about 2 inches from the top edge. Other than that it is normal. Holds air well overnight, i slept on the floor in my living room with it. I love the 25 inch width. Weight came in at 457g for just the pad so right on spec.

Jen Churchward
    BPL Member

@mahgnillig

The deal on these is still going… I just bought the women's one for myself and the large one for my hubby. The only defect appeared to be in the printing… the darker orange leaf shapes weren't on mine, but you could see the outlines where they were supposed to be. Weighed 348g on my scale… a little more than spec, but still much lighter than my current Prolite 4.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Not sure if it's the same deal– when I bought my irregular NeoAir Xtherm regular, it was $113.97 (for size "regular"). ($189.95 currently on Amazon). Now the Xtherm seems to be $189.95 for size regular. However, the Xlite in large ($105.97) or women's regular ($95.97) seem to be on sale, again as irregular stock. (Amazon $159.95 & $159.95).

So periodically Campmor must collect a group of items that Thermarest has deemed irregular and put them up for sale.

Actually, the women's size seems like a kind of useful size–at 20 x 66, 12 oz, it's in between the small 20 x 47, 8 oz, and the regular, 20 x 72, also 12 oz. The note on Campmor says that "Women's XLite uses additional reflective barriers for greater warmth," though the claimed R value, 3.2, is the same.

I called Thermarest, and they said that, in fact, the R value on the women's is 3.9.

So have ordered a women's. Good deal on something that might be perfect when the ground is a little colder, but you don't want to carry an Xtherm.

Alex W

@alexw89

Go outdoors have dropped the price for "members" to around 70 quid not seen it lower than that in the UK =]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools