Topic

I/O Merino sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals I/O Merino sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

io-merino.com is having a clearance sale. Enter "clearance" in the coupon discount section at checkout for a 50% discount on everything if you buy at least two items.

Their merino is, I think, roughly comparable to that of the other major players– Icebreaker, Ibex, Smartwool, with subtle differences.

So, for example, their pilot suit, an integral top and bottom base layer of a 160 GSM 4% elastane & 96% merino blend, which weighs, I think, less than 10 oz. (will post exact weight once mine arrives) would cost roughly $55. plus (in my case, anyway) $10. for shipping for the whole order. This seems like a great deal for a garment without a lot of other competition in its niche.

Or a 260 GSM 100% 18.5 micron merino zip-neck top would cost $50 plus shipping.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Nice deal.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Yes, but unfortunately, their hoodie garment, the LS Glory Zip, has only been available in small and extra large. Nothing for medium, large, or double extra large. The Pilot suit, a kind of hooded unitard, is available in small, medium, large, and extra large. That one seems like a great bargain, if you can use it.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

I can't even add to cart or see pictures when I go for more details, in firefox, chrome and IE…

edit: looks like they are showing up for me now.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Where there is no "add to cart" button for a given item, I assume that means they're out of stock for that item. I just did an experiment, http://io-merino.com/ then "shop online" then "male" "medium" then "go shopping" then "LS Crib", then info and "add to cart" button show up, which means you could buy this. (Using Firefox.)

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

The io-merino Pilot, sized medium, arrived today (9/4–ordered 8/28. Pretty fast shipping, considering it came from Australia.) It weighs 11.9 oz, has a deep venting neck zip, hobo mitts, red contrasting flat seam stitching at all seams, raglan shoulders, a zipper that goes from the small of the back down, under, and back up to just below the belly button, a waist tie string, and a comfortable, snug-fitting hood with no adjustment. A lot of features for the money.

For comparison, a pair of Ibex woolies pants I have weigh 4.4 oz., and a Long Sleeve Zip-neck Ibex Woolies top weighs 6.3 oz, for a total of 10.7 oz, with no hood. Much as I like the Woolies, the io-merino feels softer and warmer, and the Pilot incorporates much more work. The fabrics are quite different–the Woolies are more of a fine screen-like grid, with clear individual threads, and the Pilot seems to have a finer, less obvious surface texture. No idea, of course, about relative durability.

The late lamented BPL UL long john pant weighed 3.6 oz, and the long sleeve zipless top weighed 3.95, for a total of 7.55 oz., with no hood. These garments are definitely on the fragile side, but wonderfully light.

Also the io-merino has a dragon printed with some kind of overlay material on the left arm. Not sure how many washings that will survive.

So if you get a gig working as a Ninja, the Pilot might just be your cup of tea. It seems very well thought-out and well constructed.

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

Thanks for the heads up on this one! I just placed an order for the ninja suit and will post my thoughts after receipt.

Todd Dea

@busguy

Locale: Coast Mountains

My wife thanks you muchly for posting about this sale. She ordered some women's briefs and a hoodie. Certainly can't beat 50% off. I just wish they had some of the mens briefs on their site. I have 4-5 pairs and like them much better than the smartwool version.

Thanks again

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

I received my pilot suit and finally tried it on and weighed it. (9.26oz with the waist drawstring in place.) I have been looking for a wool union suit to be my backwoods sleepwear and the hood and sale price on this piece checked all the boxes for me.

I ordered a small (I'm 5'9", 145lbs, 30" waist, 36-38 jacket) and it fits me almost perfectly. When I have the hood up, and my thumbs in the thumb holes, I feel a slight amount of pressure on the crook of my thumb and crown of my head…prolly stretch right out after a night wearing it. The fit around my midsection is great so the waist drawstring will be promptly removed.

I'm not sure about the undercarriage zip, just standing around in it, you kinda feel the zipper…If after giving it a try I'm not sold, I plan to remove it and sew it up, save for a button closure for the front. Not loving the large red dragon on the arm…but hey, 50% off!

The i/o merino looks slightly thinner when compared to my Ibex woolies. (L/S crewneck top 5.16, btms 4.55 total= 9.71oz)

The i/o website sucks, but for $65 to my door, it was worth the hassle clicking around a bunch, trying different browsers, then magically being able to purchase!

Thanks James for posting the deal!

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I got these within a few days of ordering, superfast from Australia to US!

Hoodie seems great, the slimmest fit of any merino I have tried (SW, Iceb, Ibex, Pata) so a true 'baselayer' that you can layer over. Nice long sleeves, with hobo mitts. People with long arms like me use them as regular sleeves to the wrist, if you have short arms, use the hobo mitts.

The womens boy brief is HUGE! I ordered a M, as that's what my wife's other underwear are, but these are about 35% wider! I mean, from M to XL or so!

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

Just received my pilot ninja suit! :D
    This thing is awesome… only thing that bothered me when I got it in my hands is the drawstring would be above my belly button.
    I'm somewhat sensitive to Merino but this feels like it wouldn't bother me at all to wear. It is extra-fine 18.5 micron and feels nice to bare skin.
    Can't beat it for the price.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools