Topic

Best method for storing CF Tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best method for storing CF Tarp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have had a few tarps over years and I was wondering what is the best method to store your tarp in the short term and long term? Role, stuff, hang, fold? Everybody has different methods to store there tarps so what are YOUR methods of storing the CF tarp? Thanks

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Hi Jay,

I roll my cuben tarp, but I have seen many posts where folks fold theirs with no issue.

Ryan

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The conventional wisdom is to make sure that it is completely clean and dry. Then roll it or fold it, but if you fold it, do not fold it in the same places each time.

–B.G.–

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

In some 0.74oz cuben roll top drysacks I've used, aggressive rolling (ie. to minimize the volume of a sleeping bag) can eventually lead to a de-lamination of the material. This sort of high strain/low radius rolling is not something you'd likely do when rolling a shelter, but I mention it in case anyone is aggressively rolling their shelter to fit into a small stuff sack. I think the large radius rolls of a shelter would likely never pose a problem, but it's possible something might happen over the years if you're really straining the material.

Similarly, I'd avoid crisp and repeated creasing of the shelter, as again you could weaken an area that starts to delaminate.

So I normally fold my shelter a few times into a smaller area and then roll, but I take it easy. No need for heroics.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Thanks for the suggestions on how to store my tarp. Any other thoughts on how to store your CF tarp? I like the idea of a few folds then a few roles and then stuff.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I have read all kinds of things about this.
    I don't know what is right.

One very detailed thread with manufacturer participation said that stuffing it in randomly was just as good as any other way, and that folding was no worse than rolling.

I don't know what to believe.
    When I get my CF tarp, I'll just do whatever works best for my carry needs.

I can tell you that when they use the sailboat sails made from cuben fiber, they stuff them into the sail bags. They don't roll or fold them. And cuben fiber is made for sails which get used and stored in that manner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools