Topic

New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

The hood is very form fitting, its a tight fit and i dont have a huge head. does not blow around.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

It's a nice jacket, but the hood needs some sort of adjustability, IMO. Without a helmet, it kept blowing off my head during the ~1 mile jaunt to downtown Boulder. Glad it works for some folks.

Cool stuff in pocket feature though- wish more jackets had that.

Very interested as to why MHW decided to use 79 grams of down as opposed to the 98 that Patagonia stuffs in the UL Down Hoody. It seems like an entire ounce of down would certainly add some warmth, wouldn't it not?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I haven't been in any hurricane strength wind, but 20 mph winds didn't budge the hood for me (and I have a smaller head- size 7 1/8)- I do agree that a adj hood would a welcomed addition however, probably 1/2 oz at most (my 4 oz Houdini has a nice, light hood adjustment)

yes an additional oz of down would make it warmer, but so would two ounces- I think for most high elevation summer hiking the warmth is more than sufficient and they were definitely shooting for a very lightweight jacket

Eugene- the retail on this jacket is horrendous, the key is not to pay retail :) if and when I draw up my will, I'll put you down for the jacket!

Mike

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

I bet MHW is going to come out with this (and the Phantom) in their "water resistant down" next season- albeit, for a few bucks more.

The whole "water resistant down" is going to change the Outdoor Industry, but only time will tell if the durability is up to snuff.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Except that the resistant down I heard only helps by like %5, which won't change anything.

Give me pure uncoated 850+ fill instead.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Michael, the stuff I saw at OR this past summer (from numerous manufacturers) retained loft by ~30%.

I humbly suggest doing a bit of homework on the technology, as many do on this forum, before making some of the generalizations that you have made on this thread.

I've been corrected by far too many to count on this forum and appreciate every bit of it, as it helps educate me on the obscurities of outerwear, gear, backpacking light, etc.

We are all looking for accurate information to HELP best inform us on our gear decisions, let's keep it that way. :)

Cheers!

John Barber
    BPL Member

@jbarberd

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Saw the Ghost whisper on sale $174 at REI in the link from outdoorgearlabs today. Bet its in the new garage sale.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Alas, that price is only on the XXL. So if you’re not “extra light,” you can save some moolah.

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools