Topic

New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

"Weighing in at just over 7 ounces for a medium, our 7 denier ripstop nylon fabric and super compressible 850-fill down…"

7.5 oz for medium.

Looks like this is new for fall 2012 and the retail is still at $299. But this thing looks good for an uberlight insulation piece.

Talk me out of it..fbcd

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

It looks great, but I'm not sure about 7d fabric under a pair of pack straps.

I noticed certain makers have produced some 7d stuff, and have backed off of it lately.
    Gotta be a reason.

But I love the way it looks, and it is very light. If you can care for it well, it could be a very nice piece.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What's the fill weight?

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

That is seriously light. Half the weight of my Patagonia down sweater hoodie.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have a few items in 7d and it's does seem fragile.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Look at the stoic hadron…8oz, currently $125 and ugly as sin.
    http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-hadron-down-anorak-mens

I have never been in cold enough weather to require wearing insulation while moving (down to ~15F, daytime.) If I was worried about about being cold when moving I would bring a fleece vest. Also, if you had to wear an insulating garment on the move then I would do so under a rain jacket.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

The Hadron is a great piece but the colours are a bit mad.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

fill weight will tell the story, not worried about 7D- I've never worn a down jacket under my pack straps. down makes a lousy layer for anything on the move, it however makes a great insulating layer for anything not on the move (including in the sleeping bag)

I have a Montbell ex-light that is 7D and have used it for the last three years w/o incident, it has 1.8 oz of fill (jacket in size L weighs 6.2 oz)

if the ghost has more fill- I'd consider it, I'd like to have a hood

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I've sent them an email asking about fill weight. Hope to hear back by Tuesday.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

i'd wait until spring when I think they are introducing a downtek version.

http://www.gorp.com/gear-reviews/category/jackets/insulated-jackets/

This one could actually replace my beloved xenon (hurts my heart to write that;) Hard to settle on gear when they keep coming up with more cool sh*t.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ignore all the cool shiet … just go out and have fun … didnt need it years ago, dont need it now ;)

michael levi

@m-l

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

According to MH (for the hooded version): "79g or 2.78oz of 850-fill down", and center back length is 27"

Montbell UL Down Parka: 9 oz., 2.5 oz fill weight of 800-fill down, center back length is 27.6"

Best price on the MH with hood: $203 with free shipping

Best price on the Montbell: $139 with free shipping

michael levi

@m-l

Is that good or bad compared to the Montbell UL hoody, or Patagucci UL hoody, others?

Also I am reading that the material is 7d x 10d ripstop. So what is it?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

it basically means that youre paying $110 more for 0.28 oz more down of a 50 higher fill and saving 2.5 oz, but have a shell half as thick … vs a montbell

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

funny- they emailed me back w/ 2.53 oz of fill for the hooded Whisperer, wonder which one is correct??????

for comparison the Western Mountaineering hooded Flash has 3.0 oz of fill (850)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Funny indeed! Taylor wrote me that it had 79 grams of fill. A bit of a worry when they can't agree in their own customer service dept.!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I wonder if I was quoted the weight for the jacket by mistake, the difference could probably account for the hood fill

michael levi

@m-l

Really what it will come down to is fit, I do like that it has a hem waist cinch, 2 pockets, and thats it though. But shoots, my 150g merino longsleeve shirt weighs 6 ounces, and this 7.5…

michael levi

@m-l

I really like the construction the baffles though, and the fact that it folds into its own pocket. Cant wait! This will actually be my first down jacket so ya..

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

+1 for the Hadron. They go on sale for great prices sometimes too (search the forums for past sales). I really like the kangaroo pocket. And saving $200.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I'm not particularly fond of the quilting on this jacket. It seems to me that it creates a profusion of cold spots. I wonder if the smaller number of larger chambers in the Montbell UL Down Inner Parka might be more efficient.

Taylor B

@tboudreau

I'm sorry for the confusion with the fill weight. The 72g is for the Women's Ghost Whisperer Hooded jacket, and 79g, is the correct fill weight for the Men's Ghost Whisperer Hooded, or approximately 2.78oz.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Taylor

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hi Taylor,

I assume you're the Taylor who answered me. Thanks so much for coming on to the forums and clearing that up! We appreciate it.

Take care,

Doug

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

but this will be a badass hoody with 2.8 oz of downtek. note the reviewer mentions sleeping in this with the katabatic palisade at 15 degrees. Aaron's ratings are definitely conservative. I've been using the chisos from the beginning of may with just a xenon….back to the thread…

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Down-Jacket-Reviews/Mountain-Hardwear-Ghost-Whisperer-Down-Jacket

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools