Topic

weight pumpsack Thermarest Xtherm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) weight pumpsack Thermarest Xtherm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

In June I bought a Exped Downmat 7 UL, but since the Xtherm is on sale finally, I'm considering buying this one for even lighter weight.
    Now I'm having doubts if the Xtherm will give me the weight gain I'm looking for. I will have to add the weight of the pumpsack to compare it to the Exped set.
    Can anybody tell me what the pumpsack of the Xtherm weighs?

Marla

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Locale: West

Hi Marla,

Weight on mine is 1.6oz. Hope that helps.

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Thank you!

So yours is the Pumpsack that comes with the Neo Air Xtherm? And it's a differtent Pumpsack than the Neor Air Pumpsack?

I was confused because I don't know if the Pumpsack for the XTherm is the same as the standard Neo Air Pumpsack.
    According to REI this one weighs 2.7 oz, while in this review

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Accessories/Therm-a-Rest%20NeoAir%20Pump%20Sack/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/

it weighs 3.2 oz.

Marla

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Hey Marla… Yes, mine is the one that comes with the XTherm (just bought it last week). It seems smaller than the one pictures (mine is the same length but about half the diameter) on your link. Mine is the same grey/silver color as the mattress.

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Thank you Darren, for reassuring me about the weight.
    I almost sold my Exped, so now I can order the Xtherm!

Marla

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Microburst pad inflator is 2.3 oz. with lithium batteries. Just FYI.

greg c

@spindrifter

Hi Marla,

I got the Xtherm last week and literally blew off the idea of using the sack since blowing it up is easy and relatively quick. Of course, everyone has different preferences so this is merely an opinion, but it did seem awfully easy and there is nothing more reliable than the instaflator called your lungs. Enjoy the new pad. I slept on it this morning in my living room and thought it was quite comfortable.

Greg

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Hey Greg! Yes you are going to love the XTherm. The reason for inflation via an alternate means is that during the colder months your breath creates water vapor that can freeze in the mattress and does not evaporate easily in the field. Certainly when temps are above freezing it's not that big of a deal.

I will say that I got mine in large size and coming from the neoair small…it literally took my breath away inflating the large! :)

I didn't even know about the microburst that Ken mentioned. I like that and may look at that for my cooler months outings!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Make your own using a standard 13 gal kitchen trash bag. The kind with the built-in draw tape closer works great because the "tape" holds the opening open while you "catch" the air. Save the doo-hickey that connects the bag/inflator provided by thermarest to the air-pad valve and tape it into /around a small hole in the bottom of the trash bag. Saves a little weight but more importantly inflates about 10 times faster. My short takes @ 2 trash bags of air vs a dozen or so from the provided pump/bag and weighs a lot less even substituting a cuben bag for the provided bag/inflator to hold the packed pad.

greg c

@spindrifter

Hi Darren. I had read of that fear in numerous forums and after searching the Thermarest FAQ it appears to be unfounded as follows:

Will my breath freeze when blown into my mattress at low temperatures?

As your warm breath condensates in the cold, it is possible in extremely low temperatures to get a small accumulation of ice crystals inside your mattress. However, these pose no puncture hazard to any of our mattresses and the moisture itself is not a problem at all. (See “Will moisture build-up and ruin my mattress if I blow into it? “)

Regardless, you do bring up a valid concern. If mine blows up or becomes problematic I suppose it will be covered by a warranty claim.

Greg

Robert H

@roberth

My pump-sack that game with my regular sized Xtherm weighs exactly 45 grams.

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Thanks all.

The Microburst I've read about somewhere, but I'm afraid I can't buy it over here in Europe. And still the Pump Sack that comes with the XTherm weighs less.

I can still use my lungs in case I lose or tear the Pump Sack. But if not necessary I will try to keep my pad dampfree.

Looks like a good idea to change my Exped for the XTherm.

Marla

PS Ken, I didn't hear from you anymore. Did you receive the Bearikade?

Marla

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Sorry for the highjacking but…Greg, Thanks for the info. Funny, I just always believed all the info regarding water vapor etc. I wonder why then that CD includes the inflation sack with the XTherm and not the other NeoAir models? Just an economic decision? I'd sure like to hear from others if it's needed in freezing temps or not.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Today I received my Thermarest Neo Air XTherm.

I know about all the alternatives some of you suggested (with other plastic bags, inflating machines and lungs) but first I first want to try the original pumpsack.

I really had a hard time in my first attempt to inflate the mat with the pump sack.
    Is there any instruction video on the internet about using the (grey) pumpsack that comes with the XTherm?

I have had the Exped Downmat UL with a pumpsack and expected the TAR pumsack to be just as easy. I'm a bit disappointed at the moment, but perhaps I don't use the pumpsack the right way.

Marla

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

The trick that I developed is to twist the valve on the pad closed, then hold the pump sack (I'm using the bigger one, not the included one) up high, then fluff it up to fill it with air. Yank the draw cord closed, then twist the valve on the pad a bit open, and then roll the pump sack down. When it's fully rolled up, twist the valve closed again.

I've found that for the first few pumps, I don't need to close the valve between pumps, but in order to get it to be relatively firm, you need to prevent the air from escaping while you're refilling the pump sack. It took a bit of fiddling at first, but now it's pretty easy. For me the finicky part is closing the valve on the pad enough to avoid losing air while refilling the pump sack.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Yes, the Thermarest pump sack that comes with the XTherm is really useless! I had cramps in my hands after so many times trying to get air in the mat.
    The TAR-guys should be ashamed of themselves

I was used to the Exped Schnozzle Bag, which works great. Just 2-3 times of filling the bag … easy! It's a pity the TAR-mat still has less weight, a lot, otherwise I would have stuck to the Exped.

I think I'm going to try a garbage bag first and then make a MYOG pump sack out of cuben fibe , that has the size of the Exped Schnozzle Bag. Now I like to know what's the best valve.
    I can cut the Air Tap Pump out of the TAR-bag (or buy it seperately) and put that in a new, bigger bag. If that's works fine I'll try that first.

For the ones above that put the TAR valve into a garbage-bag: was that all you needed to make it work?

I also wonder about the snorkle-like valve.
    Rick, will that make it a lot easier?

Marla

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools