Topic

Fanny/Waist pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fanny/Waist pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I'm looking for a long and fairly narrow lightweight waist pack. No frills, just one pocket with some webbing for a belt. Something I can throw in my pack and use to put a bit of food and a .5 or 1 liter soft platy bottle in. As you can imagine, I want it to be very light. I'll use if for adventuring away from camp for a few hours or a half a day or what ever. Getting tired of emptying out my pack to do this. Plus the weight focused around my waist will leave my back open so I won't have a sweaty pack against it.

I looked around REI for this but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

William Kim

@docwilly77

Gossamer Gear has a waist pack called the Hipster, under Pack accessories. 1.9 oz and $15.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

10 x 6 x 1 is a good size, but the Platy bottles are 11" long or more. Not sure if I could just cram it in there or not. But definitely up for thought. Thanks for sharing.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

…but is your pack's waist belt detachable? If so, simply add a stuff sack with an attachment method to your pack. As low as ~1 oz and multi-use if done right.

Just a thought (and perhaps, one that doesn't apply).

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

Warren, does your pack have a detachable "brain" lid? If so it is really easy to rig a 1" webbing waistbelt for it and convert it into a hip sack.

I hike with the Granite Gear Air Swift: http://www.granitegearstore.com/Air-Swift-P303C12.aspx . I think it would accomodate your 1L Platy plus a few essentials.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I've go one I use for a ditch kit. No way to get a liter of water in it, maybe a half liter,I don't have a .5 l to try, but then no room for anything else. Probably not a viable solution.

Aaron W
    BPL Member

@adw245

Locale: Chula Vista

Inov8 makes one and check out the reviewed Zpacks multi pack. But for the weight have you considered the GG Riksak.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

John A. – No, the wings of the belt are sewn to the pack. Good idea though.

James A. – Yep, it can be detached but it is rather a boxy shape and will probably flop around allot. I'll give it a look-see. Another reasonable idea.

Leigh – thanks for speaking up on the Hipster. I used to have but can't find a long/narrow pack that would probably work. Maybe I should keep looking.

Aaron – I'll look at the Innov8 site. Edit: the Race 3 looks pretty cool. And at +/- $20 isn't too bad. It says it is approximately 12" wide. I've seen the Zpacks offering but it seems kind of a funny shape. I like the RikSak, but it does cover the back.

You've all offered some items in and outside the box. Now I've got a more options to consider. Thank you all. -And I'm still open to more suggestions.

Nick Brown

@ojsglove

Locale: Highland Park

How about using a spare coat or mid layer. Roll the contents you want to carry in the coat/ mid layer and use its pockets. Tie the sleeves around your waist like you might around town or use some spare line for a shelter either around your waist or over the shoulders like suspenders. For an example check this link to a blanket roll and modify it as necessary. This way if you are caught away from camp you'd have an extra article of clothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EwPyYMIMSo

Hope this helps.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

How about the Rivendell Mountain Works, "Hiphugger?"

Rivendell Pack Family

The pack is along the bottom of the picture.

Hip Hugger – Pack Cloth

Size: 875 cubic in.

Weight: 9.7 oz

Price: $44

Hip Hugger – Cordura

Size: 875 cubic in.

Weight: 12.4 oz

Price: $47.50

Edited for weight/size as of Sept. 3, 2012.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools