Topic

a better bug bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) a better bug bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I was wondering what bug bivies work when it is warm out? Most systems is seems rely on you using your quilt or bag but if it is above 70F who is going to do this? Also for a bug bivy to work it has to be off your skin. When you don't want to use a tarp what can you do? And what can you do for the people that are tall? I can always prop one up on the inside with an umbrella but that only works for the head. I guess I could prop the end up with a trekking pole or stick though. Any suggestions or products I should look at?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Sounds like you'd really prefer a bug tent instead of a bug bivy. Yama Mountain Gear makes some very nice ones: http://www.yamamountaingear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12

And there's MLD's bug bivy, which is kind of a hybrid, you might really like that. You could use either trees or trekking poles to 'erect' it so that it's off your face/most of your body.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thanks, those are nice ideas but are there easier ways like just having a sheet of bug netting and propping it up with sticks? I kind of feel bad spending $100 on a bug tent.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

"…or products I should look at?"

Yes. I'd look here:

http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?productId=24&categoryId=2

I have one, and really like it. $89. Simple drawcord closure; silnylon bottom with 20D top in a long size comes in at 6.2 oz, with a generous head-net area, and, most importantly, a tie-out sewn into the face area. I tie this off to the same trekking pole which supports the head end of my ID Silwing tarp.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

"Thanks, those are nice ideas but are there easier ways like just having a sheet of bug netting and propping it up with sticks? I kind of feel bad spending $100 on a bug tent."

Not sure I understand what your objections are. A bug bivy is by definition a sheet of noseeum mesh with a floor of silnylon or cuben. 100 is a pretty reasonable price. Most double walled tents are basically a "bug" bivy with a tarp for weather protection.

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

I ordered one, but haven't got it yet to tell about it. For sleeping when it's really warm out, I found that even just the nylon, from my Meteor bivy was too warm. So, this Borah sounded like a reasonable deal to try and John was very nice to work with. His bug bivy has a tie off at the head and foot end, so I'm thinking I can get the net completely off my body. I had it made a little larger, just to help with that. I'll let you know when I get it in a couple weeks, if I remember (CRS disease).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

When it's warm out I sleep in my equinox bivy with a headnet. I keep my sleeping bag inside the bivy and inside it's stuff sack. If I get a little coldish I take out the sleeping bag and drape it over my chest for a little warmth, or just use an insulated jacket to do the same. The only issue is keeping the headnet off your face and for that you could use a visor (I would want to try a cheap foam visor with flat headband).

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Is there a pic of the Borah one?

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I never understood having just a bug bivy. I just add some netting to a regular bivy and I have multi-use shelter. Your bivy has to be waterproof AND breathable for this to work.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

"Your bivy has to be waterproof AND breathable for this to work."

And we all know that utopian fabric doesn't really exist. For me a bug bivy is the primary shelter for summer. The Tarp only comes out if it's going to rain. Something like the Bear Paw Minimalist is good for those that want extra room. Otherwise the MLD Bug Bivy is an excellent choice

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

What if there was a fabric that could lay directly on you torso and bare legs without mosquitos biting through, AND would keep you as cool as netting? Would this be a fair replacement for the full netting top? I run very hot so I take cooling very seriously. I can get in my bivy and the fabric laying directly on me has two entirely different effects. When I am hot from getting ready for bed and getting in the bivy, it cools me off. A few hours later I'm still not in my sleeping bag as the temps drop, and it's warm to the touch. I can't understand this. I live in the Mojave Desert and can lay in a bivy and not get hot and sweaty. Yet all my customers are also reporting that the bivy adds 10+ degrees to there comfort range. Maybe some chemical engineer can weigh in on this for us.

So on our Scout trip to Mt. Whitney this month we went to sleep one night to absolutely clear skies and woke up to thunder and lighting followed by some rain. I was able to reach out with one hand a pull the door closed over me in less than 5 seconds. I went from bug-proof stargazing mode to weatherproof almost instantly.

Wow, sorry I got off topic. I was not trying to convince anyone to give up a tarp, but rather consider that if you are using just a mesh bug bivy under a tarp that you might consider having all the advantages of a bug bivy AND some sideways weather protection.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have tried many options for bug proofing.

The advantage with having a floor is that it acts as a ground cloth as well.

Have you ever pitched camp at sundown to wake to find that you pitched on an ant bed?

The Oware Drawcord bivy is too hot for hot summer night. The lack of air flow is stifling. Great for cool weather though.

The SMD Meteor is better for hot nights because it's big/tall bug netting.

My choice for hot summer night bug protection has been the SMD Serenity or the BearPaw Minimalist 1. They have better air flow than a bivy could provide.

A few companies make these type of bug nets. Roomy with lots mesh means better airflow at the cost of weight.

The Equinox Mantis may be one of the best compromises if price is an issue, but I wouldn't want to use it on hot summer nights.

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

I love a zipper to keep ants out. I have a real nack for finding those hidden ant hills :(

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools