Topic

Best trout rivers / lakes in the Sierra Nevadas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Best trout rivers / lakes in the Sierra Nevadas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I'd like to get a list of the best trout rivers and lakes in the Sierra Nevadas …

I plan on visiting every one.

Been to most of everything in Yosemite.

Have any other suggestions.

The Mount Shasta area looks really nice.

Not asking for your secret spots btw ;)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Loads of trout in Rae Lakes, Mono Creek side canyons. I caught fish everyday on my recent 6 night trip to the Mono Creek area, different lake/creek everyday, using a fly with a bubble to get it out there. On the other hand, many of the lakes in the Kearsarge Pass area have been gill netted.
    Duane

Dave Ploessel
    Spectator

@mailesdad

What do you mean by "best"?

Biggest fish? Look for stocked (bleh) fish on eastern sierra lakes…

Most fish? Look for overcrowded lakes plugged with malnourished brookies…. plenty of those around….

Bizzarre crossbreeds in alpine solitude? Plenty of that too…

or just head out into the back country… I've caught 18" trout in sluggish meadow creeks that were 12" wide and 4" deep…..

There are so many great places holding fish in the sierras that's it's simply absurd. If you go on a short 3 day trip likely you'll pass dozens of amazing creeks and rivers.

An easy suggestion:

The ENTIRE kern river drainage…

beyind that, a little more info on what exactly you're looking for and we can help..

For me it's always been that special blend of crazy native crossbreeds in a gorgeous setting with nobody around that are chewing the paint off of anything I throw at them that works… But that's just me…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools